C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Grease Question?? Currently installing tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake Pad Grease Question?? Currently installing tonight.

Quick question. I'm installing hawk pads in the calipers and getting ready to put the grease on the pads.

Do I put the grease on the area of the pads where the caliper rest on the pad as well as the piston is what I'm thinking.
Also I'm questioning putting the grease on the ends where the pads set in the caliper retainers clips. Do I put grease on the retainer clips or not.
Thanks for any quick responses.
GG
Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevermind, I found the info and buttered up the pads with grease.
Thanks.
GG.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM
daleweible
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=GPGG70;1578010523]Nevermind, I found the info and buttered up the pads with grease.
Thanks.
________________________________________ __________________________________

I HAVE ONLY CHANGED BRAKES ABOUT 30 OR SO TIMES IN MY SHORT LIVE. I HAVE NEVER PUT GREASE ON THE BACK OF THE PADS OR HEARD OF IT. I DO USE A BRAKE SEALER [TO PREVENT SQEAKS], HAVE USED A COUPLE OF BRANDS. GREASE ON THE BACK OF PADS TO ME WOULD EVENTUALLY WIND UP ON THE ROTORS VIA THE HEAT OF THE PAD DURING BREAKING. tHE ONLY GREASE APPLICATION I AM AWARE OF IN ON THE SLIDE AREA OF THE RETAINERS ANS THEY MAKE A GREASE FOR THAT APPLICATION.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

GREASE ON BRAKE PADS!?!? Where in the world does that information come from???

The brake pad material MUST be grease FREE and the rotors must be grease free. The backs of the pads can have an ANTI SQUEAL compound applied to them so that there’s a barrier between the caliper piston and pad. It’s usually a thin shellac type coating that cures to a semi soft rubber consistency. The stuff that I use is in an aerosol can and works very well.

The ONLY grease in a caliper should be in the SLIDING PINs that allow the caliper to center its self on the rotor. There are TWO rubber boots on each caliper that keep the grease in and the elements out. Each brake service, that grease needs to be removed and replaced.

It’s a SPECIAL synthetic grease specifically for use in a high heat environment. Regular grease will NOT work and will boil out and cause sliding pin failure and brake pad contamination.

If you have done any of the brake service wrong, PLEASE start over and correct any mistakes.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My Duralast Gold Ceramic Brakes came with Grease, but I'm pretty sure its for the Slide Area. Regardless I didn't use it.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM
daleweible
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
GREASE ON BRAKE PADS!?!? Where in the world does that information come from???

The brake pad material MUST be grease FREE and the rotors must be grease free. The backs of the pads can have an ANTI SQUEAL compound applied to them so that there’s a barrier between the caliper piston and pad. It’s usually a thin shellac type coating that cures to a semi soft rubber consistency. The stuff that I use is in an aerosol can and works very well.

The ONLY grease in a caliper should be in the SLIDING PINs that allow the caliper to center its self on the rotor. There are TWO rubber boots on each caliper that keep the grease in and the elements out. Each brake service, that grease needs to be removed and replaced.
It’s a SPECIAL synthetic grease specifically for use in a high heat environment. Regular grease will NOT work and will boil out and cause sliding pin failure and brake pad contamination.

If you have done any of the brake service wrong, PLEASE start over and correct any mistakes.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! I AM NOT DRIVING IN FRONT OF HIM. ANY AUTO PSRTS STORE I HAVE EVEN BROUGHT FROM WOULD KNOW BETTER. i WONDER WHAT THE SURCE WAS?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully he is just calling the anti squeal compound grease.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Grease Question?? Currently installing tonight.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Grease Question?? Currently installing tonight.