C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels
Print Wikipost

Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP

First time to do this. Im following instructions that I found on a previous thread that has pics. Im at the step where im removing the hub from the lower control arm. Step says to put a ball joint fork between ball joint nut and cv (of which im a little scared to do.. afraid of damaging cv) Is it ok to pound the ball joint fork with a mallet wedging it between the ball joint nut and the cv???? or is there a better way? Looks like to me if I used ball joint fork below the hub unit to separate that it would damage the rubber surrounding ball joint. Help please and thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Oh btw... its a 2001 c5.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Unless you have the GM tool (it wedges itself between top and bottom ball joint and screws to push the lower ball joint from the knuckle) the process most people use is to use 2 hammers and hit the area (one hammer on the knuckle) where the lower ball joint attaches to the knuckle.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Thanks for the tip. I ended up removing the upper control arm which gave me enough room to remove the cv axle. I then put a pitman arm puller on the lower and used it to push the hub assembly from the lower control arm ball joint. The pitman arm puller I used was just the right size to slide between the ball joint and surrounding rubber grease cap and fit over the top of the lower knuckle and ball joint bolt (after removing the nut obviously) and pushed the hub right off no problem. A jaw puller would have probably done the trick, too but my local parts store did not have one that I thought would work.

I installed the new wheel bearing and took her for a spin. The good news: No noise from the right rear!!!!! Awesome!!! (Sorry--this was my first major wrench turning on this car so I have to brag a little...)

I just bought the car about a month ago & I'm on vacation next week... Look out hills, here I come!!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Stardusterone (10-26-2015)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

it's fine, are you worried about hurting the old bearing?

I've done this 100's of times
Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
ShaneH85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic'sVette
First time to do this. Im following instructions that I found on a previous thread that has pics. Im at the step where im removing the hub from the lower control arm. Step says to put a ball joint fork between ball joint nut and cv (of which im a little scared to do.. afraid of damaging cv) Is it ok to pound the ball joint fork with a mallet wedging it between the ball joint nut and the cv???? or is there a better way? Looks like to me if I used ball joint fork below the hub unit to separate that it would damage the rubber surrounding ball joint. Help please and thanks in advance.
what diy thread are you using?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

This one is not to bad. It is a link to some more usefull info also.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Scott S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harbor Freight sells a ball joint removal tool for $20 that works great. I had to modify it by enlarging the part that slips under the rubber boot so it would fit around the ball joint shank with a dremel tool. It is way better than wacking your suspension with a BFH.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

Scott
Old 09-04-2015, 01:14 PM
maxgee
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott S
Harbor Freight sells a ball joint removal tool for $20 that works great. I had to modify it by enlarging the part that slips under the rubber boot so it would fit around the ball joint shank with a dremel tool. It is way better than wacking your suspension with a BFH.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

Scott
I picked up the same tool and going to remove the left front upper ball joint.
Did you use a manual press to reinstall?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:16 AM
black c4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel bearing

Rick, I replaced rear wheel bearing ,big part with bearing in it , still have a noise when going down road and allthe way to stop, what could I have done wrong. I over torked the big nut first time . Please help . Thanks Ken kenphillips@suddenlink.net 903-330-2377

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP