C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 01:18 PM
hottrodd57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!!

every once in a while, when I let the clutch out and in 1st or reverse in the first second i can heard a sound in the back half of the car which sounds like a marble rolling around in a large tin can, also once in awhile i can hear it when I slow down (10-30mph) and me turning????????? i took it to the dealer they said it is the trans or the rearend, or possible the clutch? but they would not know until they start tearing it apart!!! I had them check the trans fuild and rearend fuild both are full!!!!! does anyone know or had this problem ??? :confused:

[Modified by hottrodd57, 5:19 PM 4/30/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 01:24 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (hottrodd57)

What year and how many miles on your car?
Old 04-30-2002, 01:24 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (hottrodd57)

The 'marbles in a can' noise is fairly famous. Do a search for 'marble' and you'll probably find lots of references. It is also mentioned in the video, and is apparently caused by the geometry of the drivetrain, including the rear-mounted trans. It is considered 'normal' and isn't indicative of a problem.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:29 PM
DJTJ
Intermediate

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it?????????????

watch the video... "This is not a problem with the c5, just an inherant trait" or something like that....
Old 04-30-2002, 02:12 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? (DJTJ)

GM considers it "normal". It is caused by the use of low viscosity ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the manual gearbox, which does not damp the vibrations of the gears ratteling on the mainshaft. The thinner ATF (rather than gearbox oil) is used to gain some fuel economy, probably 0.2MPG! I'd sacrifice that for a car that doesn't sound like a piece-of-junk when I idle in nuetral or take off!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 02:49 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

My C5 makes more noise than others I have driven/heard. What is the best fluid for my MN6 manual to "minimize" the marbles noise ?? Can you use a heavier viscosity to deaden some of this noise ?
The noise is so bad and bothers me so much that I will give up some shifting smoothness if need be. The car is a 2002 so I do not want to kill the warranty-open to any suggestions from those that have made the awful noise go away.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:57 PM
mbtc5vette
Instructor

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (zcobra1)

I recently replaced my MN6 trans fluid with Mobil1 ATF and diff fluid with Mobil1 75w-90 gear lube + GM additive. I haven't noticed the "marbles" effect as much since.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (mbtc5vette)

Just my $.02 worth......I think that there is also a little noise thrown into the mix by the serpentine belt tensioner. I've seen them move to and fro as the engine changes RPM or load. The change of load would occur when letting out the clutch and getting the car in motion. Mine makes the noise, and this is when it is most prevalent, so I personally think that this is part of the deal.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:44 PM
TVSKIP
Advanced

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (zcobra1)

My C5 makes more noise than others I have driven/heard. What is the best fluid for my MN6 manual to "minimize" the marbles noise ?? Can you use a heavier viscosity to deaden some of this noise ?
The noise is so bad and bothers me so much that I will give up some shifting smoothness if need be. The car is a 2002 so I do not want to kill the warranty-open to any suggestions from those that have made the awful noise go away.
THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION..........CAN WE SWITCH TO A MANUAL TRANS. OIL WITHOUT SUFFERING ANY TRANNY DAMAGE, OR ARE WE STUCK WITH ATF?
Old 05-01-2002, 06:00 PM
mbtc5vette
Instructor

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (TVSKIP)

I sure wouldn't switch from ATF to gear oil in the trans. Others may have more technical reasons pro/con but if you have a warranty repair issue with your trans, you wouldn't have a prayer if they found gear oil in there. :cheers:
Old 05-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (mbtc5vette)

Your car is a brand new 2002 with a full warranty and makes a noise that it shouldn't. New cars don't make noises like that, regardless of what any video says. I don't understand a car company like GM that says these noises are normal, especially on a $50,000 Corvette! This isn't a freaken Kia we're talking about here. If I were you, I'd demand that the car be fixed 100%. That's just plain BS in my opinion that they say it's normal! :mad
Old 05-01-2002, 10:24 PM
02-C5
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!! (QuickSilver97)

My 2002 make the same noise, esp. up hill with a gradual clutch release. Then again my 99 Z28 made the same, yet quieter, noise. I'm use to it.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:31 PM
NICKNICK
Instructor

Just a rumor, but from a fairly reliable source, the C7 due out in 2015 will have a marble muffler that will eliminate the cheap, crappy sound. Sorry C6 fans. Nick :)
Old 05-01-2002, 11:05 PM
jcbuncc
Intermediate

Default Re: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!! (TVSKIP)

NO switching your oil. Auto trans oil has a bit of grit in it to help the automatic discs lock up. This oil is..for lack of a better term...gritty. If you put a std type oil you will lose the auto trans all together in a short time.

Get notified of new replies

To "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: "a tin can with a marble in it " noise, what is it????????????? Need help!!!!!!!!!