C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to take off your C5 steering wheel with a regular steering wheel puller

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:23 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Here is my recent thread on the subject.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...asier-way.html

The three prong gear puller I used fit underneath and around the center hub section of the wheel. You need to push back the rear plastic casing (unclip it) as much as you can to just get the hooks inserted at equal distances on the back of the hub. Anywhere else and they will either damage the wheel or break free. It took a while but I managed to maneuver my puller legs in the right positions.

Good luck!!
I have tried doing that, but couldn't get the legs to attach on the bottom of the wheel. I actually cut and removed the plastic casing from behind the wheel, as I won't be reusing it, just the get access to the back of steering wheel. The top of the back of the wheel has a nice indentation that one of the legs could grab onto, but the bottom underside of my wheel does not. Need to monkey with it a little more, but I am starting to put so much pressure on my three arm puller, that they main bolt's threads are starting to strip. I am convinced that my wheel has 'welded' itself to the shaft...'

Cutting it off may be the only option left! Damn... it will get messy.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:51 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Ended up having to cut the wheel off and split the sleeve off the shaft. Made a huge mess, but the new wheel is on and the quick disconnect works great. Worth the hassle, for sure!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Wish I'd have seen this thread a week ago, I broke to J hooks trying to get my wheel of then decided to just drill and tap it with a 5/16"s bit and tap. Put two 5/16"s bolts in my regular steering wheel puller and it came right off. Glad to see I wasn't the only one with the problem.

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 01-26-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Has anyone figured out what causes the hub to stick to the steering shaft??

Im surprised that heat isnt helping release it..
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Has anyone figured out what causes the hub to stick to the steering shaft??

Im surprised that heat isnt helping release it..
Seems like it make be tapered as the wheel slides down the shaft, once you put a steering wheel bolt on the wheel is stuck again.
I forgot to swap the back plastic cover and found this out.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM
rahaul
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Wish I'd have seen this thread a week ago, I broke to J hooks trying to get my wheel of then decided to just drill and tap it with a 5/16"s bit and tap. Put two 5/16"s bolts in my regular steering wheel puller and it came right off. Glad to see I wasn't the only one with the problem.

Ditto on earlier. After breaking 2 sets of O'Reilly's free tool rental pullers, showing the manager, getting his permission to "beef up" the J hooks, breaking them, making J hooks out of grade 8 bolts, breaking them, making J hooks out of stainless bolts, put so much pressure on them that they straightened out instead of breaking, gave up.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:59 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL (laugh is desperation) Yeah, I've read ALL of these threads, and I'm still not successful. (Mind you, I'm retired Master Mechanic). This *&^%$# wheel DOES NOT WANT TO BUDGE.!!!!!
So, to soothe my nerves, I installed my new headlights for the "Pause that Refreshes".
Today I'm back at the steering wheel.
Happy Easter 2015, guys and gals.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ArtGle
LOL (laugh is desperation) Yeah, I've read ALL of these threads, and I'm still not successful. (Mind you, I'm retired Master Mechanic). This *&^%$# wheel DOES NOT WANT TO BUDGE.!!!!!
So, to soothe my nerves, I installed my new headlights for the "Pause that Refreshes".
Today I'm back at the steering wheel.
Happy Easter 2015, guys and gals.
Did you end up having to cut it out? Messy, but effective

Quick Reply: How to take off your C5 steering wheel with a regular steering wheel puller