C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering sensor harness wire routing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Vicarious.
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Steering sensor harness wire routing?

Hey guys, I have been troubleshooting my C1288HC (Circuit malfunction) steering sensor problem and am starting to make some progress.

I used a VOM with the ignition in "RUN" on the steering sensor connector on the light blue wire (connector still connected) and I am getting 11.55V where I should be getting 0-5V. The outside light blue wire is giving a 2.99V signal with the wheels visually straight. This seems to be a little bit off...but hopefully still serviceable. (should be 2.5V, but this is close enough for the moment.)

I unplugged and visually inspected my EBCM connector, and the entire harness was a bit dirty and just a little bit sketchy. I don't see any lose connections though. There is like 3-4 different light blue wires in the connector, and now I am thinking I may be able to find a broken wire in the harness somewhere traveling back towards the steering sensor.

The wires I am looking for are either pin-18 or pin-28...both go back to the steering sensor and are light blue. I am pretty sure pin-18 goes to the outside blue wire on the steering sensor connection, so I am thinking pin-28 of the EBCM harness, is the center blue wire on the sensor that I need to track down...but I am not 100% sure on that. The only diagram I have found is for a 2002 sensor...and mine is a 1998 model, my sensor wiring seems to have 2 extra wires.

I am thinking if I can just trace where these wires are routed from the EBCM to the steering sensor, I can find a pinch somewhere. Does anyone know the exact path through the engine bay and under-dash that the steering sensor wires take? It is very difficult to track down by chasing wiring harnesses...the EBCM harness T's at least once and branches off many times. I need a very specific path of this harness to find the fault.

Ninety-Nine-FRC in this other thread had basically the same exact set of circumstances and he found a broken connection...so I have some hope.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...utch-swap.html

Last edited by Vicarious.; 04-26-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering sensor harness wire routing?