C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I broke the car tonight, help diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 AM
soroZ
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default I broke the car tonight, help diagnosis

I decided to pay my local dragstrip a visit tonight, my 3rd trip in the vette and I'm still very much getting used to the car, I am not a good driver. 1st run everything went smooth, 2nd run everything went good, 3rd run I launched hit 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and missed 4th and put it in 2nd instead (which the transmission should not allow me to do anyway).
I immediately pressed in the clutch and braked for the turnoff, I put the transmission in second and released the clutch, there was no engagement, and not power to the wheels, I tried 3rd, and 1st still nothing, still rolling forward, turned on the hazards (clutch is not stuck to the floor). Then I put the car back in neutral and let go of the clutch and I heard a bang, and the clutch engages and car starts moving in neutral, then I press in the clutch brake and car comes to a stop.

Now I try to engage 1st gear and it engages except there is a loud chatter best I can describe is a rock crusher perhaps. 2nd gear works so does 3rd and 4th, I have all 6 gears. I park the car and look under, there is not a single drop of anything on the ground everything looks ok.

I leave the car for a bit, come back and drive it slowly around the track, with the car in neutral the chatter is very loud. I get out of the car and it can be clearly heard coming from the back of the car, when I put the car in 1st the chatter stops then starts again once I get past like 2.5k rpms.

I leave the track and drive the car home, loud chatter in neutral 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but no chatter in 4th, 5th or 6th. I drive about 50-60 miles home, and I get off the freeway and I notice that the chatter is much less present, barely noticeable in 1st, still a bit in 2nd and 3rd but still noticeable, pull into my garage and the chatter outside the car has quieted down as well.

Now I need to diagnose the problem and this is where I need help. My best guess is that it's either the transmission gears, differential gears, synchros, or clutch hydraulics, but I have no idea which. Hopefully I can get an idea off this forum
thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by soroZ
I decided to pay my local dragstrip a visit tonight, my 3rd trip in the vette and I'm still very much getting used to the car, I am not a good driver. 1st run everything went smooth, 2nd run everything went good, 3rd run I launched hit 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and missed 4th and put it in 2nd instead (which the transmission should not allow me to do anyway).
I immediately pressed in the clutch and braked for the turnoff, I put the transmission in second and released the clutch, there was no engagement, and not power to the wheels, I tried 3rd, and 1st still nothing, still rolling forward, turned on the hazards (clutch is not stuck to the floor). Then I put the car back in neutral and let go of the clutch and I heard a bang, and the clutch engages and car starts moving in neutral, then I press in the clutch brake and car comes to a stop.

Now I try to engage 1st gear and it engages except there is a loud chatter best I can describe is a rock crusher perhaps. 2nd gear works so does 3rd and 4th, I have all 6 gears. I park the car and look under, there is not a single drop of anything on the ground everything looks ok.

I leave the car for a bit, come back and drive it slowly around the track, with the car in neutral the chatter is very loud. I get out of the car and it can be clearly heard coming from the back of the car, when I put the car in 1st the chatter stops then starts again once I get past like 2.5k rpms.

I leave the track and drive the car home, loud chatter in neutral 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but no chatter in 4th, 5th or 6th. I drive about 50-60 miles home, and I get off the freeway and I notice that the chatter is much less present, barely noticeable in 1st, still a bit in 2nd and 3rd but still noticeable, pull into my garage and the chatter outside the car has quieted down as well.

Now I need to diagnose the problem and this is where I need help. My best guess is that it's either the transmission gears, differential gears, synchros, or clutch hydraulics, but I have no idea which. Hopefully I can get an idea off this forum
thanks in advance for all the help.
It might be in yopur torque tube loose deber in there moveing around. No matter what drivetrain must come out tso start wrenching and you'll fine the problem. Or get repaired it's not going to fix itself.You have alot of work in front of you.GL
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

start with draining trans and diff fluid, look for debris.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy fix. Clutch fluid needs cycling. Especially before and after the track. (I don't track mine but I still do this every 45-60 days.)

Applies to C6 and C5. This demo shows how it can be done at the track. Personally I use a mighty-vac to remove fluid then clean with paper towels and wipe with lint free cloth. Then add new fluid with using a small funnel. Cycle the pedal.

Use the Ranger Protocol:

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 05-05-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

3rd run I launched hit 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and missed 4th and put it in 2nd instead (which the transmission should not allow me to do anyway).
As far as I know, there is nothing that would keep you from putting the tranny in 2nd gear instead of 4th.
It sounds as if you broke something in the clutch or tranny. A clutch fluid change will not fix this. Good luck and let us know the results.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is something mechanically wrong with your transmission. The "rock crusher" sound is a very bad sign. The transmission in these cars is in the back, so if thats where the noise is you might be looking at a transmission rebuild.

I really don't understand how you went from 3rd to 2nd. The way the shift gates are laid out, the path from 3rd to 4th is straight back. You must have been pulling it left as you went back.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
soroZ
Racer

I actually flushed the fluid right before I went to the track I noticed it got a bit more dirty afterward.

I will try to take a video fro you guys of the sound the car is making.
Until recently the transmission has always let me miss 4th instead of going into 2nd completely locking me out like it should be, I noticed it allowing me to do that at low rpms but I never had it let me go into 2nd at redline it is very strange.

I know it has to be taken apart but I'm no transmission expert so even if I do I won't know what I'm looking at but draining the fluid would be a good start.

I'm still counting my lucky starts that I have all 6 gears and that I was able to drive back from the track. I'm hoping for it to be the clutch as I planned on upgrading it anyway.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

I actually flushed the fluid right before I went to the track I noticed it got a bit more dirty afterward.

I will try to take a video fro you guys of the sound the car is making.
Until recently the transmission has always let me miss 4th instead of going into 2nd completely locking me out like it should be, I noticed it allowing me to do that at low rpms but I never had it let me go into 2nd at redline it is very strange.
The only "lockout" that exists, is for reverse.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
As far as I know, there is nothing that would keep you from putting the tranny in 2nd gear instead of 4th.
It sounds as if you broke something in the clutch or tranny. A clutch fluid change will not fix this. Good luck and let us know the results.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:19 PM
soroZ
Racer

Ok guys here is a short video that I made last night inside my garage, I'll try to get a better one maybe tomorrow not being inside a garage.
You can clearly tell the noise difference between the car being in gear clutch pressed in and the sound when it's neutral and the clutch not pressed in at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRodYCMgsRo
Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 AM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say your clutch is toast. It sounds like a broken pressure plate strap or spring. Changing fluid won't help.

On a more positive note, your tranny seems fine! :-)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
dizzysn
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingrobby25
I think there is something mechanically wrong with your transmission. The "rock crusher" sound is a very bad sign. The transmission in these cars is in the back, so if thats where the noise is you might be looking at a transmission rebuild.

I really don't understand how you went from 3rd to 2nd. The way the shift gates are laid out, the path from 3rd to 4th is straight back. You must have been pulling it left as you went back.
I've shifted into second trying to get into 4th plenty of times, in every manual car I've had. I know a bunch of my friends have done it as well. It's called a money shift - you do it, and it costs money. However, I've always known when I've done it and never let the clutch out, except for once in my GTO at 45mph and once at a 35mph in the Z.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What you are describing is the CAGS or Computer Automated Gear Selection system, sometimes it's called the Skip Shift system. At low revs and light throttle the computer will make you go from 1st to 4th in order to get better fuel economy.

If you accelerate harder the computer won't do this. Many people buy the skip shift eliminator as one of the first mods they do. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM
soroZ
Racer

Well its not the 1st time I've missed 4th in fact I have done it a good number of times and even down the track but I have never been able to put it in 2nd, I have always just completely missed the gear, this has been the 1st time ever that I have been able to go into 2nd at that great a speed.

Now for the diagnosis. I can make videos if you guys like but since the transmission goes into and out of gear rather smoothly I think it is a safe bet to say that the clutch is toast, or the flywheel at least. In that case I will be looking to upgrade to an aftermarket clutch.
I still haven't driven the car so hopefully I can get a better idea next time I drive the car.

I will be starting the tear down by Wednesday hopefully. Does anybody have a helpful link for a clutch swap on a c5, and any specialty tools that may be required? any tips?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
soroZ
Racer

anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It's likely the clutch or in the torque tube. Clutch seems likely due to the loss of power transmitted and the pop before it came back. I doubt it's transmission because a 60 mile drive after with parts rolling around inside would have really torn it up. But, I could be wrong.

On another note - a 60 mile drive with a broken car really wasn't your best idea...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the clutch giving up. You'll have to drop the drivetrain to get to it anyways, so might as well start there and work backwards. Was there any type of vibration or wobble during your ill-advised drive home? Did the car feel out of balance at all while in gear? I ask because if you sheared a bolt or hurt the drive shaft in any way, that's one of the symptoms. Good Luck with it!

Get notified of new replies

To I broke the car tonight, help diagnosis

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...all-guide.html

You may want to do some reading up on shifting techniques too. Hand placement and the angle of force applied when shifting are both crucial. You mentioned miss-shifting several times in the past, you may want to learn better shifting technique before you have a very expensive mistake (again). A mechanical overrev could easily blow the engine completely.

Dope
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dope
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...all-guide.html

You may want to do some reading up on shifting techniques too. Hand placement and the angle of force applied when shifting are both crucial. You mentioned miss-shifting several times in the past, you may want to learn better shifting technique before you have a very expensive mistake (again). A mechanical overrev could easily blow the engine completely.

Dope
I was thinking the SAME thing! OP,,, I bet you use the DEATH GRIP on the shift handle when you drag race! What shifter do you have?

I have some Ideas for you. Give me a call later in the evening. 6PM-9PM Eastern Standard Time..

PM sent

Bill
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 PM
soroZ
Racer

Believe me I have tried, but this has been a wake up call for me to ditch my stock shifter and go with a short throw. I probably did have the death grip, obviously I blame none except myself.
I will have to drive the car again so I can fully assess the damage.

Thanks Bill I will try to give you a call tonight if not I definitely give you a call tomorrow thanks.

Quick Reply: I broke the car tonight, help diagnosis