C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Starting problems

I own a 2001 Corvette Convertible which we purchased new. Yesterday the Vette would not start. The starter would not engage when I turned the key. The instrument lights worked. The horn, lights and locks worked but the trunk and hatch lock would not work. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and reconnected and the car started fine. I started it several times but when I let it sit for an hour it would not start, engage the starter, trunk and convertible hatch lock did not work. Again disconnected the negative battery terminal and reconnected and it started fine. Let sit an hour and same problem again. The battery appears fine but I put it on a charger for several hours but it turns the engine fine with no issues. Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Is the yellow "Security" light flashing on the dash when it won't turn over and start?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Is the yellow "Security" light flashing on the dash when it won't turn over and start?
I did not notice any flashing security light but I can check. I looked for anything out of the ordinary. I does seem to indicate some sort of security measure but don't know what that would be.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM
dlind4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Find out what codes your getting and post them so we can see if we can isolate the problem. Hold options and hit fuel 4 times to get the codes from the dic.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dlind4
Find out what codes your getting and post them so we can see if we can isolate the problem. Hold options and hit fuel 4 times to get the codes from the dic.
I held the options and hit the fuel 4 times and did not get any codes. The only thing I got was a Sevice Vehicle Soon, check engine and check gages lights. No security lights were flashing. Again all the console lights are working but the starter will not engage. It is not a dead or low battery issue I don't think.

When you post get codes from dic do you mean the codes should be on the display or something else?

Last edited by ezzrider; 05-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dlind4
Ok I figured out how to get to the codes. I had to disconnect and reconnect the negative battery terminal to get the code info working. The codes flash so fast it was difficult. All of the codes had an H behind them which I read is a history code that has been corrected but the first codes that flashed up were 28 TCS C1248H C1254H, C1296H and U1000H; 58SDM U1000H, U1016H, U1040H and U1064H; AO LDCM B2244, 2206, 2284, 2282, 2264, U1255, 1064, 1016, 1096. I let it go to manual mode and reset all the codes. Hopefully then the next failure the most recent codes with pop up. Opps maybe I should not have reset the codes?

Last edited by ezzrider; 05-26-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:44 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Clearing all the codes is good so now you can see which ones pop up again if the problem returns. I didn't see the P1631 or B2721 which are related to the Security light coming on - so it doesn't look like a PASS key issue.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Clearing all the codes is good so now you can see which ones pop up again if the problem returns. I didn't see the P1631 or B2721 which are related to the Security light coming on - so it doesn't look like a PASS key issue.
Ok had same issue again after resetting all the old codes. The new codes are: 58SDM - U1000H, U1064H; AO LDCM - U1064H; A1 RDCM - U1064H; A6 SCM - U1255H; BO RFA - U1000H and U1064H. That is all the new codes.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM
LawdoG247
Instructor

Originally Posted by ezzrider
Ok had same issue again after resetting all the old codes. The new codes are: 58SDM - U1000H, U1064H; AO LDCM - U1064H; A1 RDCM - U1064H; A6 SCM - U1255H; BO RFA - U1000H and U1064H. That is all the new codes.
Has the car been garaged for awhile? Sounds like a weak battery to me, you should have the battery and alternator tested for free at your local Autozone. Either that or dirty/loose chassis grounds not allowing optimum current flow. It's hard to believe both door control modules failed simultaneously!

EDIT: If it starts up fine with no issues after charging, you could have dead or dying cells in the battery, or your alternator isn't charging it while the car is running therefor draining it to a state where all these codes are repopulated due to low voltage. I'm no expert, but I do know these things are VERY picky about having proper voltage levels maintained.

Last edited by LawdoG247; 05-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LawdoG247
Has the car been garaged for awhile? Sounds like a weak battery to me, you should have the battery and alternator tested for free at your local Autozone. Either that or dirty/loose chassis grounds not allowing optimum current flow. It's hard to believe both door control modules failed simultaneously!

EDIT: If it starts up fine with no issues after charging, you could have dead or dying cells in the battery, or your alternator isn't charging it while the car is running therefor draining it to a state where all these codes are repopulated due to low voltage. I'm no expert, but I do know these things are VERY picky about having proper voltage levels maintained.
Well it has been garaged and we do not drive it a lot. The battery seems strong but it is 3 1/2 years old. Actually I thought it was newer than that but not according to the sticker on the battery. I put it on a charger to see if there were any issues and charged it at 10 amps for several hours. After taking off the battery terminal and reconnecting it starts fine and the engine turns over fast. No click, click, click when trying to start and no slow turning of the engine. Replacing the battery would be a simple fix. I am very hopeful it will be that simple. I can take it up to have the battery tested but don't know if it will restart again or not. Guess it is worth a try.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Sounds to me like you need a new battery. I had a similar issue with another Chevy not too long ago.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Sounds to me like you need a new battery. I had a similar issue with another Chevy not too long ago.
Well I can get a new battery and see if that corrects the problem. If nothing else I probably need a new one anyway. Strange though the current battery turns over the engine fast after the battery disconnect routine.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 AM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Have you measured the no load voltage? No load voltage is what you measure across the battery posts with the neg battery cable disconnected.

It's well documented that the electronics in the C5 do not function correctly if the no load battery voltage gets below 12.5 volts.

Dash guages cannot tell you the state of health of the battery. They tell you the state of health of the charging system. Many of the electronics in the C5 do their thing before the engine starts so having adequate voltage after the engine starts often is of no help.

Charge the battery to full charge. A good battery at full charge will measure 12.7 to 12.9 volts across the posts with the neg battery cable disconnected. If you cannot charge the battery to at least 12.7 volts it's on its way out..
Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Curious that this problem would still exist while hooked up to a battery charger? Wouldn't the battery charger put enough voltage into the car (while it is hooked up and charging) even if the battery was going bad? I can charge a 2, 10, 50 and 250 amps with my battery charger.

Last edited by ezzrider; 05-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Well I can get a new battery and see if that corrects the problem. If nothing else I probably need a new one anyway. Strange though the current battery turns over the engine fast after the battery disconnect routine.
Starting an engine and keeping one running are two entirely different events. With modern cars, the computer requires power from both the battery and the alternator to run properly. If the battery runs low the computer and its various connections no longer have the energy required for everything to function, so some functions just stop working. The Chevy I mentioned would only run on 3 cylinders when the battery went bad because it did not have enough power to ignite all of them.

Older engines used to run on the alternator alone, and the battery was used strictly for starting the engine, after which the alternator took over and the battery was no longer in use. You could actually pull the battery out of a car that was already started and drive away with no problems.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 05-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Starting an engine and keeping one running are two entirely different events. With modern cars, the computer requires power from both the battery and the alternator to run properlly. If the battery runs low the computer and its various connections no longer have the energy required for everything to function, so some functions just stop working. The Chevy I mentioned would only run on 3 cylinders when the battery went bad because it did not have enough power to ignite all of them.

Older engines used to run on the alternator alone, and the battery was used strictly for starting the engine, after which the alternator took over and the battery was no longer in use. You could actually pull the battery out of a car that was already started and drive away with no problems.
Yep I have already decided I will get a new battery. It is curious though with the battery charger hooked up and running the problem would still be there even if the battery was low. Just to see I went out and disconnected and reconnected the negative battery terminal and started the car up. I then shut off the car and the battery charger is hooked up at 10 amps charging. I will check in an hour or so to see if the same problem exists. If not the it is most definitely the battery. Strange this time when I unhooked the negative terminal and reconnected the horn started going off. This is a new one.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:31 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Well I installed a new battery and still have the same not starting issue after sitting about one hour. The new error codes are 58 SDM - U1000H and U1064H; BO RFA - U1000H and U10064H. Looks like these errors relate to communicating with the BCM. Since the new battery did get rid of the door codes what is that telling me? By the way this is a convertible and in the past some water has leaked into the inside of the car after heavy rains when not in the garage (dried out next day). Think I may have some sort of corrosion in some wires? Where do I start to look?

Last edited by ezzrider; 05-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Since the codes related to the doors went away, the old battery was most likely problematic.

In the passenger foot well there is a toe kick that lifts out to expose the IP fuse box and the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM Electronic board is inside a large silver box to the left of the fuse box.

Inspect the box for any kind of indication that the box has gotten wet. Stains from water or white oxidation on the box are two things to look for.

If you find indicarions of water then most likely the BCM board has similar oxidation on it that needs to be cleaned up. Post back what you find.

If there is no indication that the BCM got wet we can move onto grounds.

Inspect the
Actually that area looks pretty clean with no visible water damage to the BCM box, connectors or fuse box. I am surprised. I did not open the BCM box or fuse boxCan I post photos on this forum? I enhanced the photos as even with a flood light they were a bit dim. My vette is in my garage. By the way thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Starting problems

Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Just for the heck of it...there is a 10 pin connector located near the battery on the fender side. Disconnect it and check for a burned looking mark around one of pins(the female side of the connector) it may cause problems sometimes , ie. start/not start/start/not start...just a shot in the dark but it may be your problem...it was mine
Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 PM
ezzrider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yello95
Just for the heck of it...there is a 10 pin connector located near the battery on the fender side. Disconnect it and check for a burned looking mark around one of pins(the female side of the connector) it may cause problems sometimes , ie. start/not start/start/not start...just a shot in the dark but it may be your problem...it was mine
There are a number of connectors on the fender side of the battery. Is the 10 pin connector flat or round? Looks like I will need to take out the battery to gain sufficient access. By the way what did you do to correct your burnt connector?

Last edited by ezzrider; 05-28-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

There are a number of connectors on the fender side of the battery. Is the 10 pin connector flat or round? Looks like I will need to take out the battery to gain sufficient access. By the way what did you do to correct your burnt connector?

Its more like squarish...its the one with the most wires coming out of it...it has "pins" that go into the other part of the connector...I replaced the connector with a new one...seperate the connector to see if you can see any burned looking marks...

I will take a closer look tomorrow and report back...

Last edited by Yello95; 05-29-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Starting problems