C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Flow CATs

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default High Flow CATs

Has anyone ever really checked to see what is the gain by just changing out the CATs for high flow vs. stock? Would you notice anything? Maybe better mileage? Response? Please chime in if you have knowledge in this area. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Anybody?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I installed free flow cats, along with an x-pipe and Z06 ti exhaust, all at the same time. The car was considerably more responsive. I remember thinking "wow" the first time driving it. It felt as though I had removed a cork from the exhaust system as I could actually "feel" the exhaust flowing "faster and smoother". Not something you'd realize until you do it.

I attribute the improved flow to the cats (85%), the x-pipe (5%) and the ti (10%). Just a guess on these numbers. My car had 65,000 miles at the time, so I'd imagine the original cats were getting close to their expiration and were fairly clogged. A car with considerably fewer miles on it probably wouldn't yield quite the difference that mine did. Still, if smog regs aren't a concern, I'd do it along with at least an x-pipe. And while you've got the exhaust out, throw in an insulated tunnel plate.

Get notified of new replies

To High Flow CATs

Quick Reply: High Flow CATs