C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 90 intake manifold crack

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Janfun
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This morning I finally, after millions of adjustments, got it going. One trick that I learned was that lower intake manifold gaskets MUST be changed.
JB Weld is great!

Now idle is normal, no error codes, runs normally. Time will show if this was long lasting fix.

Thank you everyone for support and advice.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Global Warmer LQ4
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's been years and this post is old but how did this intake repair work out? I'm thinking about doing some similar work on my intake. ..
Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Might want to PM the op and ask. Doesn't look like he frequents the forum, last activity 2/15.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Janfun
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Global Warmer LQ4
I know it's been years and this post is old but how did this intake repair work out? I'm thinking about doing some similar work on my intake. ..
Hi Global Warmer,

since I made the fix I haven´t had any issues with the intake. Glassfibre and JB weld work's great if you make 2x bigger "PATCH" than the hole or crack is. Otherwise suction forces will damage the repair.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

what JB weld did you use?

I have a crack in mine and used JB Weld Plasticweld witch failed, I sanded it and installed fiberglass mesh also let it setup for 24 hours before installing it but the stuff didnt bond well to the intake, going to give repairing it another try if it dont last i guess a new lower section will be bought

fast wants $355 for a new lower part # 146301
Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have always had success with the regular JB weld:

http://www.grainger.com/product/J-B-...0924234058%3As

When I port the FAST 90, I use the JB Weld above to fill in certain areas inside the manifold so I can cut it back further without having too thin of an area remaining.

That JB weld always holds if the area is clean and oil free.
BC
Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

these manifolds work well on n/a setups and still end up cracking every so often, I can't see why some people defend them so much in boosted applications especially on mild to mid level boost builds where the stock intake will easily make the power they are after yet is much stronger
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
these manifolds work well on n/a setups and still end up cracking every so often, I can't see why some people defend them so much in boosted applications especially on mild to mid level boost builds where the stock intake will easily make the power they are after yet is much stronger
Agreed. I'm a firm hater of FAST or any aftermarket intake manifolds (Unless you are going for a Race only sheet metal manifold). It pains me to see people blow 1500-2000 dollars for 15 rear wheel hp when the stock intake manifold will hold up to tons of boost and abuse and make damn good power while it's at it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146174

7 ft lbs and 8hp. I don't care what you can find under the curve, it still isn't worth a grand IMO

Last edited by 175rgr; 09-24-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 175rgr
Agreed. I'm a firm hater of FAST or any aftermarket intake manifolds (Unless you are going for a Race only sheet metal manifold). It pains me to see people blow 1500-2000 dollars for 15 rear wheel hp when the stock intake manifold will hold up to tons of boost and abuse and make damn good power while it's at it.

7 ft lbs and 8hp. I don't care what you can find under the curve, it still isn't worth a grand IMO
Strong word for a component that has proven itself over and over again for over a decade.. I understand the power can be made with a stock manifold with boost, but for the LSX application, this manifold is one that has been sought out for years.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 175rgr

I sold my FAST 90 setup, which really worked great NA, when I installed the blower. Went back to LS6 stock setup. Made money on that one, minus the busted install.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Broken Intake

Originally Posted by Janfun
How wrong can man go???

After battery change and short circuit I posted to forum and asked help because of MAF, bad battery and bad idle.

Time has passed as well as some $$$ and I changed MAF and TPS sensors hoping that it would help. Same symptom remains. When starting engine it won't start but only gives a "promoise of 2 seconds".

Now I got new MAP sensor and that's why I took off intake manifold to install it.
To my big surprice I found that the bottom part of intake manifold that is plastic is broken.
There is a 10" long and 1,5" wide crack on the bottom of the plastic part of intake.
Obviously it results an air leakage.

I was able to separate metallic top part of intake and plastic (PVC?) bottom part of intake.

I am not familiar with LS1 and I need help and advice how to fix the damaged plastic bottom part.

Please advice!

Cheers
Jan
Go to Advance Auto parts store and buy a couple of Permatex Permabond Plastic Weld epoxy. It is a two part epoxy.Also buy some fiberglass cloth and some 80 grit sandpaper.Sand the area thoroughly and clean with brakekleen or carb cleaner. Use the two part epoxy first and then apply the cloth to the repair and saturate it with the epoxy and work it into place. The cloth keeps it from cracking. This stuff is dynamite. Good luck!!!!!!

Quick Reply: FAST 90 intake manifold crack