C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
wasnt me
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Speedo

I have a 98 non HUD Speedometer that is acting up. I found a used speedometer with the miles within 600 of mine. The used speedo has the HUD option on it and I was wondering if it would still work as a replacement. I hate to buy it just to find out it won't work.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I assume you are buying the entire cluster? If so, it'll need reprogrammed to talk to your car or the car won't do anything at all. Doesn't matter if the mileage matches or not.

Acting up? May I ask what it's doing? By any chance is it reading high speeds? If so, hit the E/M button on your dash.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 10-15-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Musta just learned to type...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cluster

I thought the cluster was a "dumb" device and it was just remove and replace with only the mileage in the replacement cluster carrying over. That's what happened with my Avalanche and a SS pickup cluster replacement. Also have a custom built "0" mileage/new C5 cluster to drop in that I haven't gotten around to yet. Is it the HUD/nonHUD issue. Just curious.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

To my understanding, it is not a hud/non-hud thing. All of them need to be set up so they talk to the rest of the car. To do this it requires the old cluster and the new one. You can freely swap hud/non-hud clusters, (functionality notwithstanding) but they need reprogrammed. I assume that means the first time it goes in the car. After that, they both work. But, you know what assume means.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Default Cluster

Will have to do some research. As I said, when I changed out my Avalanche cluster ('05) to the the white faced SS cluster (NIB) that added a transmission temperature guage, the only thing that changed was that the mileage went to "0"-mileage is stored in the cluster. Now the electrical architecture in the '99 may be different and require programming, but that's not what I understood. I'll check the service manual.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

It should work, you just will not plug in the HUD connector. But the only thing is I believe you need to have the IPC programmed to your car. Your mileage will display true once programmed.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 PM
wasnt me
4th Gear

Great, if the hud speedo will fit, I will buy it. If it needs to be reprogrammed, i'll take it in to be serviced. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
wasnt me
4th Gear

Actually, would it be a huge pain to add the HUD option to my car? Would that require changing out the dash?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Default Cluster

That's what I thought-the programming is for the MILEAGE. I was told by a local speedometer guy (who wanted like $175 to program my "new" cluster) that because of the age of the car-don't recall the actual NTSB stipulation-that I didn't legally have to reprogram. Only needed to place a mileage sticker in the door jam and possibly execute a notarized statement if/when I would sell the car. FWIW.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wasnt me
Actually, would it be a huge pain to add the HUD option to my car? Would that require changing out the dash?
It's not overly difficult. You will need the HUD unit and the harness. There are several threads on here with some how-to info. One of our forum sponsors had a template available to cut your dash pad with.

Originally Posted by PhilsFRC
That's what I thought-the programming is for the MILEAGE. I was told by a local speedometer guy (who wanted like $175 to program my "new" cluster) that because of the age of the car-don't recall the actual NTSB stipulation-that I didn't legally have to reprogram. Only needed to place a mileage sticker in the door jam and possibly execute a notarized statement if/when I would sell the car. FWIW.

I think you might be right. Your replacement IPC will display the odometer that was shown when removed from the other vehicle. I would have it programmed to display correctly just so there are no flags with carfax/DMV for future sale.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

LOL, there is no programming to pair the cluster and the car. 600 miles difference really isn't worth worrying about reprogramming the odometer.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...rts-house.html
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Default Cluster

In my case it will/would be "0" since the cluster upon which the modification was based was NIB. Found a guy that buys overstock GM parts and got the cluster for about the same price as a used one.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
wasnt me
4th Gear

Thanks for the feed back guys. That is why im interested in that speedo. It reads 600 miles more that mine and I'm not concerned about the car having less miles that the speedo shows.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Speedo

Quick Reply: Replacing Speedo