C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch system gravity bleed failure!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
blackula 99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch system gravity bleed failure!

I am at my wits end... Recently installed a new clutch master cylinder,after install I noticed clutch pedal had an inch of free play before it engaged at the pedal.. Previous to this there was no free play. I know its air in the system so I preceded to gravity bleed from the slave cylinder below. Car is driveable but I can tell it isn't right. What is the next step after the traditional clutch pedal pump, crack the bleed screw operation isnt successful? I understand the c5's are notorious for problems in this department....thoughts?

I was told by a well known corvette "authority" that gravity bleeding does not work on c5's and that I am better off getting a new slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder installed for 1500.00{parts and labor}
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't know what is wrong with your car but I think there is something wrong with your Corvette "authority".

Take the MC out and bench bleed it again.

When you reinstall be sure to screw the MC completely into the firewall. The last few degrees are a biotch. I used a small C clamp to get some leverage.

Air bubbles rise. Give it a day or two.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

First off, why did you replace the master cylinder?

Yes, you should bleed the system through the bleeder. It's a pain in the *** to get to. I use a stubby wrench and put the closed end over it. Just let the fluid come out of the bleeder and all over the place, you have no choice really. Remember to have an assistant pump the pedal and instruct them to make sure the pedal comes back all the way up. They may have to pull the pedal up with their toes or hand. The fluid will deplete quickly, after 2 bleeds, fill the reservoir.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch system gravity bleed failure!

Quick Reply: Clutch system gravity bleed failure!