C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery issues after installing the LMC5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Dead battery issues after installing the LMC5?

I'm suddenly having dead battery issues in my 04 Z. The only thing that's been touched on my car has been the installation of the LMC5 from compliance parts. I can't even let it sit 12 hours before the battery dies. The battery is good and I even threw in a brand new one from the shop.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Maile575
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery after intalling LCM%

Just wondering if you got your problem resolved. I'm having the same problem. Will be calling to see if something can be done to fix it.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Maile575
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Sounds like a call to the vendor is in order............ Perhaps you incorrectly wired it??? They should be able to help.
Did you get it fixed??
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maile575
Just wondering if you got your problem resolved. I'm having the same problem. Will be calling to see if something can be done to fix it.
I haven't had time to even look at the car. I will be starting on it next week though and will let you know what I find.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I never had any problems with my LMC5. Double, triple, quadruple check your wiring. I probed the 3 BCM pins that the LMC5 replaces, and IIRC none of them were hot when the car was off.

Also remove the column lock relay. You don't need it with the LMC5, and it might be shorting out.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by wcsinx
I never had any problems with my LMC5. Double, triple, quadruple check your wiring. I probed the 3 BCM pins that the LMC5 replaces, and IIRC none of them were hot when the car was off.

Also remove the column lock relay. You don't need it with the LMC5, and it might be shorting out.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the column lock relay. I never even thought of that.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brrymnvette
Thanks. I'll take a look at the column lock relay. I never even thought of that.
It's #9 in this diagram of your pass. side footwell electronics. If it's warm then you've found your problem. Unhook the silly thing and let it dangle. The LMC5 circumvents it.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You have to get the BATTERY CURRENT DRAW value measured!

Without that data, your shooting in the dark. Put a DC Current tester/meter in series with the NEGATIVE BATTERY terminal/battery cable and see what the BCM Sleep Current Draw is after the BCM goes to sleep (approx 5-12 min)

It should be right around 20 milliamps (0.02 amps) If its High,, something is staying on that shouldnt.

Having the meter in the circuit will allow you to turn off, disconnect or check specific circuits.

REMEMBER!!!!!! Each time you wake up the BCM, you will have to wait till it goes back to sleep to get an accurate reading.

My 02 ZO6 never has a dead battery and a couple monts ago, outof no where, battery was dead.

Something stayed on that shouldnt. After I charged the battery, all was back to normal.

Accomplish the following:

Do the current draw test and see where your at.

Fully charge the battery and go have it fully tested to rule the healt of the battery out as a possible problem.

Bill
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Bill, I don't suppose you could post the pinout for the BCM harness?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WHEW! The BCM is one of those modules that dont have the inputs /outputs on one page. They are spread out over numerous sections.

What specific pinouts do you need to figure out?

Power/ground ??
Column Lock??
Lighting??
PCM/BCM interface??
DLC stuff??
Something else??
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WHEW! The BCM is one of those modules that dont have the inputs /outputs on one page. They are spread out over numerous sections.

What specific pinouts do you need to figure out?

Power/ground ??
Column Lock??
Lighting??
PCM/BCM interface??
DLC stuff??
Something else??
Well the LMC5 replaces 3 pins on the BCM plug, and I was just hoping you could confirm my theory of it can't cause the battery to go dead. As I mentioned, I probed all 3 pins with the ignition off, and they were all dead, but I won't swear that my probes were making good contact. (It worked, so I never worried much about it)
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

ahh yes, thanks for digging that up

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The Column Lock Relay, which does NOT exist in the 97 -98 model years, but is installed for all other model year C5's, appears to be left connected. So if the BCM grounding of the CLR were to get hung up for some reason, the CLR would be powered all the time and could quickly drain the battery. Although I have not checked other wiring diagrams to see what else might be powered by fuse 23, fuse #23 in the passenger footwell could be removed and prevent the battery being drained. Alternatively the CLR could be pulled from the socket and the same results achieved.
You can leave it connected or not. The guy from Compliance Parts (Rich?) that I talked to suggested disconnecting it. I see why now. It appears that it will always have power, so yeah like you said if it gets hung up it'll pull your battery down. But as I suspected, none of the leads that the LMC5 overrides will have power when the ignition is off.

My CLR went bad and that is what prompted me to get the LMC5.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead battery issues after installing the LMC5?

Quick Reply: Dead battery issues after installing the LMC5?