C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery leak corrosion and rust clean-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
C5-TT
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery leak corrosion and rust clean-up

Hey everyone I have the common problem of my stock ACdelco battery leaking and causing damage to my c5. I discovered this problem when my HVAC vents stopped switching. I have already found a great write-up on replacing the vacuum line and what not. Well I am in there im going to check all of the wiring under the battery to make sure none of it is affected. My question is cleaning the corrosion and rust that is on my frame. Its in the middle of the battery tray (I call it GM's funnel), around that piece and down the side by the PCM. I have already neutralized it with a warm water and baking soda mixture a couple times. I tried sanding it, I have big hand so very hard to do, and cant get it all. What did you guys that have had this same issue do? I hear there is some sort of spray paint that takes rust into primer. Maybe something else I can spray that will break it down where I can wash it away. I could not find any write-ups on the actual cleaning of the corrosion and rust. I am including a 2 pictures so you guys can see what Im working with.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WAY TOO MUCH TO TYPE!!!!!!!

CALL ME!!!!!!! PM SENT!

See that littke square box with the small black wires taped to the wiring harness... That MUST BE disassembled and cleaned!!!

That the electrical grounds to your O2 sensor heaters and other things:

PM Sent

Bill
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM
C5-TT
2nd Gear

Big shout out to Bill!!! Thanks for all the amazing info bill!! I got it all fixed and looks brand new!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

IT MAKES MY DAY,, ,,, when someone over comes a serious issue on their own and is able to save a boat load of cash.
Man,,, I'm glad I can help you and I bet you understand you car a little better now!

Drive it like you stole it!!

Oh,,,, any pictures of the repaired project??

Bill
Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

And yet when a battery discussion comes up people will still defend the use of a lead acid battery in a C5. Congrats on the repairs.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 PM
jonmc56
Intermediate

Default a couple of questions

Hi Folks,

I find myself repairing the damage from a battery leak in a car that I bought recently (2000 Coupe). It looks to me like the prev owner just neutralized the acid and replaced the battery. I want to make it right. I know I need to clean up everything and paint the frame.

My questions. Can I assume that if the fishnet style wire loom is not melted/damaged in appearance, that the wires are ok inside? Or should I open these bundles up and look at the wires?

Also, I saw mention that there is a vacuum line that is wrapped up with the wires in one of the main harnesses, but couldn't find info on which vacuum line/which harness it is. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Old 12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Heres proof that the A/C Delco battery's are junk just as I have been professing for years is true. Maybe the die hards who profess the greatness of the Delco's will see through the smoke and mirrors.
The Big Guy !
Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jonmc56
Hi Folks,

I find myself repairing the damage from a battery leak in a car that I bought recently (2000 Coupe). It looks to me like the prev owner just neutralized the acid and replaced the battery. I want to make it right. I know I need to clean up everything and paint the frame.

My questions. Can I assume that if the fishnet style wire loom is not melted/damaged in appearance, that the wires are ok inside? Or should I open these bundles up and look at the wires?

Also, I saw mention that there is a vacuum line that is wrapped up with the wires in one of the main harnesses, but couldn't find info on which vacuum line/which harness it is. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

Jon

The vacuum line enters the MAIN harness at the back of the engine and extends through that bundle and comes out of one somewhere under the battery and runs over to the vacuum can.

If it were me, I would open up the harnesses inspect and then re-wrap.

I always extend the hose up near the manifold to make it easier to connect and stay connected.

Bill
Old 12-20-2014, 03:32 PM
jonmc56
Intermediate

Thanks Bill!

I've opened up the wire bundles and cleaned up like crazy. The wiring looks good, but the vacuum line that comes from behind the intake manifold was cracked. I can't figure out how to access the area behind the intake to run new vacuum line. Too much stuff (including the intake) seems to be in the way. Do I have to remove the intake to get to it ? (please say no)

Thanks, Jon

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Jon

The vacuum line enters the MAIN harness at the back of the engine and extends through that bundle and comes out of one somewhere under the battery and runs over to the vacuum can.

If it were me, I would open up the harnesses inspect and then re-wrap.

I always extend the hose up near the manifold to make it easier to connect and stay connected.

Bill
Old 12-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

LOL! Unless you can find a 10 year old with tiny hands,, break out the tools!

Sad to say,, most likely intake removal time!

Ive done it with a LONG pair of hemostats or aligator clamps and a mirror when I first had my 98 (before removing the intake became as common as removing an oil cap.)

Her is what I use if I get LAZY or need some entertainment:

http://www.scissorsales.com/product/hemostats-2044.cfm

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/BIG-...FTFp7Aod0QIAVg

Bill
Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM
megawatt1203
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

They make rubber couplings for the tubing. I had same issue and found good tubing I could get to and coupled new tubing to that. Been 5 years and no issues. Also have AGM battery now.

Get notified of new replies

To battery leak corrosion and rust clean-up

Quick Reply: battery leak corrosion and rust clean-up