C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Talk For My Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Default Clutch Talk For My Z06

Hey guys,

I'm looking on replacing my LS6 Clutch and hydraulics for something stronger. I'll be doing an LS7 swap on my C5 Z06 sometime soon enough after research and of course gathering the green backs.

I'm looking to put down 550-600 rwhp and would like a clutch that would handle this no problem. I've been pointed towards Monster, Mcleod, and other very well known brands. I'd like something that is street friendly but that will give me the support i need for the above hp and any future mods i'd like to grow on it.

Along with the clutch install i will be getting a transmission rebuild will all RPM hardwared.

What are some of your experiences with some different kinds of clutches/flywheels setups?

Trying to get er done right the 1st time around...

-Maxx
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the RST Mcleod and resurface your FW, New slave, pilot bearing (if you need it otherwise leave as is, its a major pita to take that out, even fr this hardcore mechanic with nice Snap-On pilot bearing ouller i barely took it out after much hammering).

I spent over 2k bucks on single disk clutches, they all grab and works nice....except one BIG fn problem.....heavy pedal.....so do it first time and do it right.....remember i do my own clutch install, if i would have paid someone to do it......3 times...so that will be disastrous on my pocket.

Get the Remote bleeder as well call TPE (jeff google search his number he is in Nevada, best remote bleeder you can buy).

Monster twin disk clutch is new but their reputation is pretty good and they in Texas as well.....1200 bucks comes with FW as well.

dont even bother with single disk clucth no matter what brand they are.....they work and handle power 500-600 easily but all have heavy pedal issue.

Goodluck
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stick with stock flywheel or Stock LS7 flywheel and a McLeod clutch (LS6 or LS7) depending on what flywheel you run.. Might as well go LS7 now if your going to swap your motor now then atleast the clutch will swap over.

S
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Thanks for your responses.

After more and more reading i believe the twin disc would definitely be an ideal way to go. The cost is a bit more but you get what you pay for i believe.

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
I would stick with stock flywheel or Stock LS7 flywheel and a McLeod clutch (LS6 or LS7) depending on what flywheel you run.. Might as well go LS7 now if your going to swap your motor now then atleast the clutch will swap over.

S
So what you're saying is if buy for say a Monster Twin Disc Clutch with a billet flywheel from them, this will not be compatible for with an LS7 since i won't be running an LS7 flywheel?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a single disk myself since I'm just bolt ons at this point, but I've read on their website that the Monster Twin Disk clutches are fully rebuildable for $500, and the warranty is reset after each rebuilding too. I'm rocking a Monster single disk and it's been an awesome clutch so far, I'll probably go with their twin disk as my next clutch after installing an A&A kit. McLeod has a pretty big reputation in the twin disk area though.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

I think i'm going with the Mcleod RST Twin Disc, too many positive reviews and happy customers from them. I'm going to go ahead and look into getting my LS6 flywheel resurfaced or buying the one from Mcleod to work with that setup...
Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 AM
CeeRow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in a Mantic Twin. It's a little pricey but I couldn't be happier. Feels nearly stock. Has no chatter from what I can tell. Comes balanced too. They also supply you with a new slave, pressure plate bolts, flywheel bolts, and a new lightened flywheel. I got mine on sale from ECS and it came with a remote bleeder and pilot bearing for less then retail.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would speak to the vender you get the clutch from. I am not sure of the compatibility of the flywheel/clutch setups for a LS7 swap. Are you going to run the C5 trans or swap to a C6Z trans?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

The clutch/flywheel will be the same whether it's behind an ls6 or ls7. The hydraulics of the two vehicles is the difference in our packages, but you would still be ordering one for a C5. Note our twins have a 2 year warranty against manufacturers defect and since you're "local" we'd be more than happy to do a package install for you. The RST is an organic material as our Level 1 twin is which would easily hold the power you're talking about. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Hey guys,

I'm looking on replacing my LS6 Clutch and hydraulics for something stronger. I'll be doing an LS7 swap on my C5 Z06 sometime soon enough after research and of course gathering the green backs.

I'm looking to put down 550-600 rwhp and would like a clutch that would handle this no problem. I've been pointed towards Monster, Mcleod, and other very well known brands. I'd like something that is street friendly but that will give me the support i need for the above hp and any future mods i'd like to grow on it.

Along with the clutch install i will be getting a transmission rebuild will all RPM hardwared.

What are some of your experiences with some different kinds of clutches/flywheels setups?

Trying to get er done right the 1st time around...

-Maxx

Don't forget the diff. Also braces for the Trans/diff. would be a good idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Talk For My Z06

Quick Reply: Clutch Talk For My Z06