C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sweet smell from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM
MatthewEdward
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sweet smell from engine bay

I smell a sweet smell after I step out of the car after driving it. The car doesnt overheat and all cats are removed. Is this normal? I have a 1990 c4. Car doesnt over heat but temp does go up if I drive it really slow like 5mph or leave it idling for a while after driving it. Is this signs of a head gasket leak?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
MatthewEdward
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops wrong section
Old 07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Head gasket will give a more pronounced sweetish smell from the tail pipes than the engine bay. Hopefully you just have a leaking rad, expansion tank, or associated plumbing. Feel around the expansion tank fitting that goes to the rad. It's very common for those to leak.

And it's perfectly normal for car engines to heat up when not moving. Your cooling system should be able to keep it under 225ish though. If you're seeing much above that, then you might have other problems.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

A sweet smell is not normal. There is a coolant leak someplace that needs to be tracked down.

Get notified of new replies

To sweet smell from engine bay

Quick Reply: sweet smell from engine bay