C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM
garywardwv
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control issue

Hey guys, I have a 2000 C5 w/ 6sp manual. The cruise control is inoperable. When I try turning the cruise on, the light doesn't come on in the instrument cluster panel and it won't engage and maintain speed.

I have read the other threads about the #20 fuse (checked it and it is okay), the brake and clutch switches (haven't gotten that far yet), but none of those threads stated whether the cruise control light was even on or off in the cluster when you turn it on.

I do have a vacuum issue and the A/C vents aren't working properly ATM, they just blow air out the top and bottom vents. I just got this as its my first Vette that I've owned and the dealer just fixed the A/C a couple weeks ago when it was doing the same thing with the A/C.

I'm thinking it may be related, but wasn't sure if the two systems were connected in some way. I have an appointment for the dealership to look at the A/C again to see if it was something they did when they previously fixed it.

I was just trying some troubleshooting Regardless, the light isn't even coming on when I try to engage it. It could be a blown bulb in the dash possibly, but it doesn't work at all.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated. Thanks, Gary
Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
garywardwv
5th Gear

I wasnt sure which module you needed codes from, so Im gonna list them all below.

28-TCS * *C1278H

99-HVAC *U160H *

AO-LDCM *B2282H, * *B2284H, * *B2264H, * U1064H

A1-RDCM *B2283H, * *B2285H, * *U1064H

A6-SCM * U1160H

BO-RFA * U1255H, * U1096H, * U1064H, * U1016H

I am new to the Vette scene. I did driveabilty diagnostics when I worked at Ford, but some of these modules are unfamiliar to me. I was guessing that the 28-TCS code is what you needed. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Gary
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

All of those listed are HISTORY DTCs. Recommend that you clear ALL of them and see if any come back.

You are correct. The only one that could be involved is the TCS DTC. It’s not your culprit!

The BRAKE and or CLUTCH has a switch that tells the PCM if either are activated. Which in turn will TURN OFF or disengage the cruise control.

Check to see if the clutch and brake switch are properly adjusted.

A quick check: Pull back on the Brake pedal and then the clutch pedal with your foot and see if the cruise will engage and stay on.

If the switches are not properly adjusted they can be activated by the slightest bump or vibration and cause the cruise to deactivate!

The switches that you are looking for are a simple two wire switch on the bracket for each peddle.

Bill
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 PM
kernelPanicked
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably not doing anything other than admitting how dumb I am BUT -- when I first got this car I swore for weeks the CC was broken. I had never had a car with a CC switch that has an "off" position like this one. I only knew an intermittent "cancel" not a toggle "off." Once I pushed the toggle to the middle "on" position, it was miraculously fixed. My stupid, on the other hand, well... you can't fix stupid.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM
garywardwv
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kernelPanicked
I'm probably not doing anything other than admitting how dumb I am BUT -- when I first got this car I swore for weeks the CC was broken. I had never had a car with a CC switch that has an "off" position like this one. I only knew an intermittent "cancel" not a toggle "off." Once I pushed the toggle to the middle "on" position, it was miraculously fixed. My stupid, on the other hand, well... you can't fix stupid.
Hey everyone, it ended up being the brake switch!! I tried pulling up the brake pedal and felt a click when I did it. It was fixed after that. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I was too busy getting the car cleaned up to take it to Carlisle this past weekend. I'm only a few hours away, but that cruise control came in handy for the drive up and back on 81!!

Hey Kernel. Don't feel too bad, when I first got mine back in July this year, (Not to mention it's my first one I've owned!!) I did the same exact thing. Rode around a week without it thinking it was broke. I figured that it would have the CC light on the instrument panel somewhere when the switch was in the "On" position, but it doesn't have it like some of the other cars I've owned before.

I just had to hit the "Set" switch at the end of the damn turn signal. Boy did I feel stupid when I took it back to the used car dealer to fix it since it was still under warranty and they showed me how it worked.

I do really appreciate the help you all give around here. Thanks again guys, Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise control issue

Quick Reply: Cruise control issue