C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential output shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM
isujosh
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential output shaft play

How much play should there be in the drivers side output shaft, I am trying to trace down a noise from the rear driverside wheel area, so far i noticed just a bit of front/rear movement when i hold the wheel at the 9 and 3 o clock positions, seems to me it needs a new outer tie rod end. I also have a bit of backlash on the axle on that side, and very little if any on the passenger side. When i pulled the halfshaft off, i noticed that the output shaft may be slightly off center and has a bit of play in it if I try to wiggle it around, i am taking about maybe ~1/16th of an inch. I know i will need to replace the seal, but is there too much play there? Should it be nice and firm?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Here are several post that will allow you to understand whats in the diff and how its constructed.

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

The DRIVERS side is the long shaft and if you examine the pictures in "Its GO Times" post, you will see that the shaft slips into the CV input shaft cup and the outside is supported by a roller bearing in the case.

The other side is the short shaft and is pretty ridged but supported in the center housing case.

So,,,,,,,, with the CV removed from the diff,, yes there will be some play but there shouldn't be excessive play

Quick Reply: Differential output shaft play