C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

security system problem, I think

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM
TedMI
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security system problem, I think

When I unlock the door (doesn’t have to open it) with remote or key a loud buzzing sound starts. I’m pretty sure it comes from the same source as chime does. By the way the chime sound is not clear. Occasionally it sounds like mix of chime and buzzer. When I turn the ignition on the buzzing sound goes away or is at very low volume. It comes back later but not as loud as it was when I unlocked the door. If I bring any erasable info to the display i.e. MPG then push reset button buzzing sound stops but comes back shortly after that. If the buzzer is on when I leave the car it turns off ½ minute later. If I unlock the door, turn the ignition on and off, lock the door and then right away unlock it buzzer doesn’t come on. Any idea which ECM is failing?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TedMI
When I unlock the door (doesn’t have to open it) with remote or key a loud buzzing sound starts. I’m pretty sure it comes from the same source as chime does. By the way the chime sound is not clear. Occasionally it sounds like mix of chime and buzzer. When I turn the ignition on the buzzing sound goes away or is at very low volume. It comes back later but not as loud as it was when I unlocked the door. If I bring any erasable info to the display i.e. MPG then push reset button buzzing sound stops but comes back shortly after that. If the buzzer is on when I leave the car it turns off ½ minute later. If I unlock the door, turn the ignition on and off, lock the door and then right away unlock it buzzer doesn’t come on. Any idea which ECM is failing?
IMHO,, before you go crazy trying to fix this issue, investigate to see if the IPC is getting FULL battery voltage on the "HOT IN RUN AND START " buss.. Check out this post and read the IPC fuse that the ignition switch feeds and make POSITIVE that you are getting 100% full battery voltage to the IPC

- C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

Let us know what you find.

BC
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
71blackbird
Intermediate

TedMi, did you ever resolve the issue? I'm experiencing the same problem.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 PM
TedMI
Intermediate

Bill,
I've checked voltage and ignition switch resistance and everything looks good. But when I stop to think about it I don’t know how the switch can contribute to this problem. The buzz starts upon using the key fob even before key is in the ignition and is still on after key is removed.
any other tips? anybody?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 AM
71blackbird
Intermediate

TedMI, take a look at this post and check out nevr2loud's youtube post of the buzzing sound. I've also started a thread as I didn't want to hijack this one (second link).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-cluster.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...oor-chime.html

Get notified of new replies

To security system problem, I think

Quick Reply: security system problem, I think