C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is bypassing the fuel filter/regulator Do-able

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM
The Mountain Kat
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is bypassing the fuel filter/regulator Do-able

OK my project is installing 2 Walbro 255lph pumps as I am going to run E-85 so that I can better utilize my SC boost.
My plan was to run run -8 braided line to a filter and then to the fuel rail.
My thought was to connect a Tee in the engine bay and run fuel pressure back through the stock fuel line. I can loop the former outlet line, which would now be pressure, around to the inlet on the stock filter.Then I was going to block off the outlet of the filter. I figured that this would provide the pressure and flow necassary for the JET pump to keep the tank volume correct.
But now I am finding that the filter is also a regulator. Great...
Can someone tell me what the outlet pressure on the filter/regulator is?
Is the regulator on the fuel rail sufficient for this design?

Now I am thinking that I will need to bypass the entire stock system. I can provide a volume equalization line across from right to left under the tranni easily enough and I can purchase a regulator for my new design.

Anyone who has done something like this? Like the guys who are running 700, 800, or more Horses. How do you provide ample fuel flow for that much power?

Thanks!

Last edited by The Mountain Kat; 08-28-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

KAT

You have to have a constant designed pressure. 56 psi is what the PCM is programmed to support at the approproate size injector that you program into the tune.

YES, the late model C5' that have a ONE line fuel rail, have the pressure regulator in the fuel filter.

Unless you remove the OEM filter/regulator and install an aftermarket high flow filter and a seperate regulator, your stuck with STOCK stuff.

Contact ECS and see what they do for their HIGH HP CARS. They build some pretty stout mills
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

You can just add your own regulator and remove the stock filter/regulator. Stock pressure is 58lbs, but most guys looking to make big power with boost will go to a boost referenced regulator since each pound of boost made in the intake manifold is one less pound of fuel pressure as they cancel each other out. Thus dropping the effective amount of fuel available.

Get notified of new replies

To Is bypassing the fuel filter/regulator Do-able

Quick Reply: Is bypassing the fuel filter/regulator Do-able