C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM
ZYa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights will not turn off

Hello everyone I hope you can help.

I have Radioflyer's ACA Bi-X headlights and all has been fine until today. While driving, my headlights activated themselves and will not turn off. I have tried every position of the headlight stalk including leaving high beams on (which I use to lower the headlights) and it will not turn off. I can get the headlights to fall down with the high beams on but the lights stay on.

I'm looking for advice on what to check for or what to replace.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The normal headlights are controlled directly by the multifunction switch on the column. I would repair or replace that.

- C5 Multifunction Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...f-replace.html

Bill
Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
ZYa
Racer

I have replaced this in the past with a brand new piece. I would like more feedback on diagnosing if the stalk is the culprit. I had to replace it in the past because the interior and exterior lights were not turning on but the headlights were. I haven't really seen others replacing it for any other reason.

Now...
When I turn on the headlights all of the lights on the interior and exterior light up. When I turn them off, they all turn off as well. When the lights are in the off position the HIDs stay on. I push it to high beam mode and the headlights flip down but HIDs stay on. When I leave it in off position and flash the high beams, the HIDs turn off and the high beams turn on.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Unless you have a relay installed between the C5 headlight supply wire, the power for the headlights comes directly from the multifunction switch and goes directly to the headlights.

DO YOU HAVE TWLIGHT SENTENAL and if so, is it active??

Go into the DIC and disable it if its ACTIVE and see it that fixes the issue!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 PM
ZYa
Racer

Bill,

I found the issue and I have fixed it. I do have a relay between the two and it is the Hi-4 harness. It was creating a short somehow due to the positioning of the relay. I could hear a click from the relay as I jiggled the wires. I replugged in the fuses/wires and the headlights now stay off and functions as they did before. I will now be relocating the harness. I am so happy its not the stalk. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent!!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights will not turn off

Quick Reply: Headlights will not turn off