C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High rpm shifting problems.... clutch not disengaging.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:35 AM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High rpm shifting problems.... clutch not disengaging.

I know for sure my clutch isn't disengaging completely. I can put the car in neutral, shove clutch all the way to floor, put shifter in 1st gear and the car will nudge forward. I'm also getting very difficult shifts at high rpm. I know with Fbodys the hydraulics are garbage and I've been told its the same thing with C5s. My question is what are the odds a new master cylinder will cure my problem or is it very likely its a pressure plate issue. Its a 45k 04 Z06 that's all stock. I've all ready tried bleeding and new fluid.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I know for sure my clutch isn't disengaging completely. I can put the car in neutral, shove clutch all the way to floor, put shifter in 1st gear and the car will nudge forward. I'm also getting very difficult shifts at high rpm. I know with Fbodys the hydraulics are garbage and I've been told its the same thing with C5s. My question is what are the odds a new master cylinder will cure my problem or is it very likely its a pressure plate issue. Its a 45k 04 Z06 that's all stock. I've all ready tried bleeding and new fluid.
The slave cylinder is toast would be my opinion.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
MT0911
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it only happening at high rpms shifts? Clutch sticking? Look at the Tick Master cylinder.
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...r-c5-corvette/
Old 09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I had the same issue and hind sight, a new master cylinder most likely would have given me more time with less effort and money.

Try a new master first.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:52 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spend the money on a Tick adjustable master cylinder, it will cure the problem. The install is kind of a PITA but well worth the time and effort.

Jimbo
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Well I've got it all taken apart now. I took my old master cylinder apart so I could use its rod in my new perfection one (made it adjustable) but I will say this. The inside of the stock master was completely full of what looked like wet mushed up pencil shavings caked in grease. I'm going to say the master will cure my problem, honestly after seeing exactly how the inside is designed and with all the gunk I don't see how it was working as good as it was.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

common with C5's. new Master Cyl usually is the culprit. Tick seems to bee the one of choice. when installing new MC i would suggest a really good fluid as well... Amsoil or simmilar.. and once a year suck fluid out and replace.. there is a right up here about it on here.

S
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea I cut open my old stock master cly. Same thing. Litter ally full of tar. I ran a tick master cyc for over 2 years, I just swapped a smaller bore 3/4 in tilton master cylinder in and the engagement is tons smoother and still high rpm shifts great. The tilton master in the tick kit is 7/8 bore.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 AM
GTX86
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MX621
Yea I cut open my old stock master cly. Same thing. Litter ally full of tar. I ran a tick master cyc for over 2 years, I just swapped a smaller bore 3/4 in tilton master cylinder in and the engagement is tons smoother and still high rpm shifts great. The tilton master in the tick kit is 7/8 bore.
Where did you buy it? I'm gonna be doing this myself soon and I don't wanna end up with a high clutch effort since I daily drive my Z.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 AM
MX621
Burning Brakes

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...do-i-need.html

lil backround info.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-75-750u/overview/

this is what i used to replace the tilton m/c that comes in the tick m/c kit.

be aware its not a dirrect replacement, you have to thread/tap the holes in the new master, 3/8x16 if i remember corretly.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:52 PM
GTX86
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MX621
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...do-i-need.html

lil backround info.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-75-750u/overview/

this is what i used to replace the tilton m/c that comes in the tick m/c kit.

be aware its not a dirrect replacement, you have to thread/tap the holes in the new master, 3/8x16 if i remember corretly.
Awesome, thank you. How involved is it to switch to the new master, and is it possible to order the rest of the Tick M/C kit individually?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTX86
Awesome, thank you. How involved is it to switch to the new master, and is it possible to order the rest of the Tick M/C kit individually?
im not sure. can pm martin@tickperformance on here. its not a difficult job, just working under the steering Colum is a pita!! really liking the 3/4 bore tilton m/c so far.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a heads up guys: we offer our kits with a 3/4" Bore Cylinder here in house for a $40.00 upcharge when the order is placed (we started this for guys using RPS triple-plate clutches.) 3/4" is the same bore size as your stock master cylinder so you won't see any huge increase in the ability to disengage a clutch, unfortunately (which is the reason we use a 7/8" bore cylinder regularly.)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
YellowC5Alive
Heel & Toe

Is it making any noises? I recently had a throwout bearing good bad...

Sounds like this

I'd post a video with mine, but my car is so damn loud you can't hear it in a video.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
GTX86
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
Just a heads up guys: we offer our kits with a 3/4" Bore Cylinder here in house for a $40.00 upcharge when the order is placed (we started this for guys using RPS triple-plate clutches.) 3/4" is the same bore size as your stock master cylinder so you won't see any huge increase in the ability to disengage a clutch, unfortunately (which is the reason we use a 7/8" bore cylinder regularly.)
I'll be ordering one of these soon!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

The Ticks are definately worth every penny. I've got them on both of my Fbodys. When a aftermarket clutch goes in my Z it'll get one.

Get notified of new replies

To High rpm shifting problems.... clutch not disengaging.

Quick Reply: High rpm shifting problems.... clutch not disengaging.