C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Month Summer Storage C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM
OSCARNEIL
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Month Summer Storage C5

I am a snow bird and plan to leave my 2002 in Florida for 4 months. It will be in a dry garage (as long as there are no hurricanes). Should I leave the car on a trickle charger or should I remove the battery terminals and trickle charge the battery independent from the car. I have seen on the forum that I should remove the (-) terminal first. Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 07:44 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Either way works. If you take the battery out you don't have to worry about an acid leak, but will lose all the memory (no big deal). What I would worry about is critters. Mice, birds and in Florida those wasps that build the mud tubes (they're called spider wasps).
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would personally remove the battery, charge it and then leave it off the charger while gone. I find mine don't need a charge all winter as there is no drain on them. I check once a month. Also have had two trickle chargers go up in smoke and know someone whose house burnt down using a trickle charger so I wouldn't personally recommend leaving that charged while the car is there alone.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

If the car is going to be unattended for that long, I'd NEVER leave an electrical device attached to it. Too risky. If fact, if I was away from the residence that long, I wouldn't pull the battery out of the car, and leave it on a charger. I would do what "vettenuts" suggested...Pull the battery, charge it, then give it a charge when you return and then put it in the car.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If the car is going to be unattended for that long, I'd NEVER leave an electrical device attached to it. Too risky. If fact, if I was away from the residence that long, I wouldn't pull the battery out of the car, and leave it on a charger. I would do what "vettenuts" suggested...Pull the battery, charge it, then give it a charge when you return and then put it in the car.
I agree. Never, ever leave a battery charger of any sort even trickle unattended. I know of too many places that went up in smoke for that reason. One was the garage where I was having my 55 Sedan Delivery Chevy restored. Luckily it was in another room and didn't warp the sheet metal but all else was toast.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

My car stays on a CTEK all winter and my house hasn't burned down yet. Buy a good charger and you will be fine. 4 months isn't really that long though you could just disconnect the battery and charge it when you get back
Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
My car stays on a CTEK all winter and my house hasn't burned down yet. Buy a good charger and you will be fine. 4 months isn't really that long though you could just disconnect the battery and charge it when you get back
That's good to hear, but it only takes ONE electrical "hiccup"......
Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

id try and find a non fire hazard way to throw some fans in there as well to keep the air circulated in florida the moisture will flow into any crack it can find

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Month Summer Storage C5

Quick Reply: 4 Month Summer Storage C5