C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body DBW Conversion Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Darth_Vetter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body DBW Conversion Harness

I came upon a BBK Power Series 6.0 truck 80mm Throttle Body ( 3 bolt - 8 pin).
I want to use this throttle body on my Blown (A&A) C5. I am trying to find wire harness conversions DBW but I have not found any that work. I have seen the Casper's wire harness but that is for a 6 pin not an 8 pin LS2-LS1 DBW. Is there any way for me to use this throttle body even if I have to splice wires myself instead of buying a plug and play harness converter?

Here is a link that explains the LS1 throttle body pin outs and the 8 pin connector pin outs. they all have the same reference. Basically the 8 pin connector on the side of the 6.0 dbw tb is a combination of the 6 pin on the LS1 tps and the LS1 tac motor.

http://chevythunder.com/drive_by_wire.htm

Is there a plug and play harness or do I need to start soldering and make my own...?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Since it seems you don't mind wasting money, Paypal me $50 and I'll give you the answer...
Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Sleezy E
Melting Slicks

el oh el
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know if that harness exists. The more common mod is to switch to a LS2 90mm throttle body, and that harness is easy to find.

It looks to me like its just a matter of splicing the extra 2 wires from the motor control onto the 8 pin harness, but I'm still not sure if that will work. There is a lot of somewhat confusing information about the intercompatibility of LSx throttle bodies, since they don't all have the exact same blade movement and sensor voltage outputs.

Given that this harness (and adapter) exists:

http://www.torquerush.com/

I'm pretty confident that the truck TB that you're trying to use isn't directly compatible with an LS1/6 C5 throttle body.

I would look for a used LS2 intake manifold and throttle body... they're pretty cheap, since LS2 guys switch to FAST intakes and throttle bodies all the time, and you'll be switching to a 90mm throttle body which is much more worthwhile than going from a 78mm TB to an 80mm TB...

And also, BBK makes an LS1 80mm TB that is a direct swap to a C5.

From what I've read, it seems that LS3, LS7 and LS9 throttle bodies aren't directly compatible with C5s.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Darth_Vetter
Instructor

Thanks PhysicsDude for the response man. I'm not switching to the Ls2 mani becuz my ported LS6 flows a little better than the ls2. I'm gonna stick with it. I'm not trying to do this throttle body switch to gain hp in general. I came upon it and I want to see if I could make it work. I was also considering the ls2 throttle body but I am not going to pay for the ls2 tb. If I actually upgrade it's going to be to a fast 102 and tb combo. The fact that the voltage readings are different do concern me and that's why I proposed the question on the forum. I've already read about the x-link harness and the caspers harness. I'm gonna make my own harness and see how things work. I have a ported tb currently but it has been giving me problems hence the switch. If this doesn't work then I guess it's back to the ported tb. I make pretty decent power with the setup that I have. I just wanted to see if this gave a little crisper tb response.

Last edited by Darth_Vetter; 02-23-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That makes sense.

The reason I suggested LS2 is to be able to switch to a 4 bolt throttle body, since almost all the bigger TBs on the market are 4 bolt.

Either way, try soldering together your own 8-pin harness and see if it works. I'm curious.

There is also a fairly popular mod of epoxying a 4-bolt TB neck on an LS6 intake.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 AM
Darth_Vetter
Instructor

I saw the epoxy method as well I just didn't know about reliability on forced induction applications. If I somehow had a pin hole leak in between the tb and manifold, that small leak could be robbing 1-2 psi.
I made the harness last night and will let you guys know the results tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:06 AM
Zlewilson429@gmail.c
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Darth_Vetter
I saw the epoxy method as well I just didn't know about reliability on forced induction applications. If I somehow had a pin hole leak in between the tb and manifold, that small leak could be robbing 1-2 psi.
I made the harness last night and will let you guys know the results tomorrow.
did it work???? Any pics of pigtail?

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Body DBW Conversion Harness

Quick Reply: Throttle Body DBW Conversion Harness