C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood for Maggie

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hood for Maggie

Anyone know if the Carbon Creations ZR edition 1 or 2 hood will work for a magnusion blower? "magna-charger or whipple charger".. whatever you want to call it?
I know the standard cowl hoods will work, but looking for a nicer look. VIS makes a standard cowl as well as a style called "Penta Style" which I cant seem to find anyone that has installed it.. not even Google images comes up with any on the car itself.. would like to see it too to get an idea if the ZR hood wont work. I want to stick with these as they are some of the only carbon fiber hoods available. I dont want ACI or RK's fiberglass stuff since the stock hood is already the same basic thing. Might as well weight reduce while at it.
I have experience with Seibon and VIS. Seibon being hands down the best carbon fiber company I've seen. But they only make a stock style hood. VIS is okay for the money and I wouldnt hesitate to go with them again. But Ive heard Carbon creations is one of the best out there. And the ZR 2 hood is really nice looking.

Thoughts or experience? I have made my mind up on the magna charger over the pro-charger style setup. I can easily install it like an intake and save a lot of money on labor. And I'm not a dyno numbers chaser. I do 1/8th mile drag and the maggie will hit hard from the launch. Plus a high rise hood with a top mount supercharger is beyond cool looking
Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

i doubt they make it in carbon (can't hurt to ask), but my Kenne Bell hood... now made by TPE... fits my 2300 without notching the back & has the same lines as the factory hood - just taller
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by _zebra
i doubt they make it in carbon (can't hurt to ask), but my Kenne Bell hood... now made by TPE... fits my 2300 without notching the back & has the same lines as the factory hood - just taller
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it
Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi bud ,TPE , is that Jeff , think he closed down a while back , may be have a word with KB .

I hope to get my ACI radical highrise to fit over my tvs 2300 ,going to need a hack though.

I did manage to get that hood fitted over my KB ,so fingers crossed , really don't want to ship another hood all the way over here lol

OP keep us posted on your quest
Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I always like the Carravaggio blower hood when I was considering a Maggie. I thought it had very clean lines.

Last edited by vettenuts; 04-25-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I always like the Carravaggio blower hood when I was considering a Maggie. I thought it had very clean lines.
Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I may be wrong but I do not think the blower hood fits over a TVS 2300 without some cutting......
It does say it was designed to fit the magnusion. Isnt that what the TVS2300 is?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Technically Magnuson is a company the packages Eaton super chargers for different applications. (cars/trucks/SUV's) Magnuson packages a 5th generation Eaton supercharger which they refer to as MP112 for the C5. I have that product installed on my 04.

They also package a 6th generation Eaton supercharger which they refer to as the TVS 2300 for the C5. I almost had that supercharger installed on my car until I found out I needed to cut the hood I already had selected and painted.

They are two very different products and the hood clearance requirements for each is different. The TVS was brand new for the C5 in 2009 and virtually all hoods available at that time for the C5 did NOT clear the TVS 2300 without some cutting.

The performance characteristics of the two supercharges are also very different.

http://www.magnacharger.com/c-120-su...rger-kits.aspx

There may now be hoods that clear the TVS 2300 without cutting but I would ASK that question BEFORE you purchase one. Once you cut the hood, any warranty that the hood may have had is likely out the window.......... Perhaps the advertising is still for the original MP112.
Thanks for the information and in depth explanation. I will definitely be asking a lot of questions now.

While on the subject, has anyone looked into LPE's package to fit an LS2 style Edelbrock E-force supercharger on the C5? It looks to be a very low profile system, and at only $5500 vs $7500 for the maggie kit and $800 for the LS1 retrofit kit, its over all cheaper and may work with one of the slightly raised hoods out there. I dont know if Edelbrock makes good superchargers though..
Old 04-25-2014, 11:24 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

there's a guy who ran one of those on an LS7 in his C5 with a stock hood.
he has a thread somewhere around here about it.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NITRO UK
Hi bud ,TPE , is that Jeff , think he closed down a while back , may be have a word with KB .

I hope to get my ACI radical highrise to fit over my tvs 2300 ,going to need a hack though.

I did manage to get that hood fitted over my KB ,so fingers crossed , really don't want to ship another hood all the way over here lol

OP keep us posted on your quest
Jeff at TPE still sells stuff, he's just not a vendor any more

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Thanks for the information and in depth explanation. I will definitely be asking a lot of questions now.

While on the subject, has anyone looked into LPE's package to fit an LS2 style Edelbrock E-force supercharger on the C5? It looks to be a very low profile system, and at only $5500 vs $7500 for the maggie kit and $800 for the LS1 retrofit kit, its over all cheaper and may work with one of the slightly raised hoods out there. I dont know if Edelbrock makes good superchargers though..
Edelbrock E-Force superchargers are Eaton TVS units, too
Old 04-27-2014, 12:50 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjwz28

Edelbrock E-Force superchargers are Eaton TVS units, too
Another read of the kit from LPE states that an aftermarket hood is still required. Wonder why the Edelbrock kit is cheaper??? Is it less powerful? Not CARB exempt?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:52 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

maybe it's because the E-force & Heartbeat systems (lower-profile designs) start running out of steam above 8-9psi due to design restrictions... according to a couple sales reps i talked to when i bought mine. if that's a good level for you, then no worries. and since they're originally designed for the LS2/3, you should be able to run a little more boost on an LS1 just fine.

i bought mine with the intent of starting around 8psi then saving for a forged 400+ci @ 15ish. i'm part-way there with my LS1 at 11psi, and it ain't enough!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:20 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Now that I didn't know .
Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM
irish222222
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's an older thread, but anyone know if the VIS Penta will clear a Magnacharger? Tried searching everywhere and can't find an answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood for Maggie

Quick Reply: Hood for Maggie