C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Ona mission
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Knock sensor?

I have a rough idea how the knock sensing system work but do they fail? My 04 coupe (no mods) seems to have a knock once in a while. I usually do keep high test in it but have heard a ping/knock under some situtions and at full load. No codes or Engine service light

thx in advance for the help.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They do fail and they do throw codes when they do, are you checking codes with the DIC or a handheld scanner?

They generally fails by water infiltration from the top (people washing their engine with water) or from below with oil (there are plastic caps in the bottom of the wells the sensors sit it and they leak).
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Ona mission
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
They do fail and they do throw codes when they do, are you checking codes with the DIC or a handheld scanner?

They generally fails by water infiltration from the top (people washing their engine with water) or from below with oil (there are plastic caps in the bottom of the wells the sensors sit it and they leak).

With the DIC, I'll give the scanner a try when I get a chance but wouldn't that give a check engine light? thx
Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ona mission
With the DIC, I'll give the scanner a try when I get a chance but wouldn't that give a check engine light? thx
DIC is fine for this but a decent scanner will allow you to graph the output of the knock sensors and to capture them . The CEL would trigger if the sensor(s) were BAD, your's are most likely OK and the system may not be able to adjust the timing enough to compensate for bad fuel or excessive carbon buildup.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

The system can adjust enough. Just not fast enough.
They have to hear the knock first, then pull timing.

Get notified of new replies

To Knock sensor?

Quick Reply: Knock sensor?