C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F45 delete failure on my 98

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Saw my original post had some comments. I was not able to get the F45 deprogrammed and still have it. I have gotten resistors from Radio Shack, but haven't done the swap yet (always some other priority comes up). I like the idea of removing the sensor from the shock, but wouldn't want to screw something up in the process. Has this been fairly successful with others? I am still not sure why the Tech 2 did not recognize that my car had F45. Any new thoughts or info would be appreciated. Zuti
Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcork1
I am notorious for ordering the wrong part. anyone have a part number and supplier?
10313647 – Z06 Front Shocks
25819268 – Z06 Rear Shocks

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...013-c5-c6.aspx

http://gmwholesaleparts.com/upgraded...c6-z06-shocks/
Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I got my C6 ZO6 shock from Gene Culley,,, Good people and excellent prices:

Heres his website.. Give hime a call and he will get your shocks in the mail:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html
Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuti
Saw my original post had some comments. I was not able to get the F45 deprogrammed and still have it. I have gotten resistors from Radio Shack, but haven't done the swap yet (always some other priority comes up). I like the idea of removing the sensor from the shock, but wouldn't want to screw something up in the process. Has this been fairly successful with others? I am still not sure why the Tech 2 did not recognize that my car had F45. Any new thoughts or info would be appreciated. Zuti
I got the idea from another member but still going strong on mine. it's just a sensor still plugged in. no different then paying for resistors and plugging them into the sensors. lots of ways to skin a cat. I like the way I did it because its free and easy
Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by DBH-Vette
I tried taking off the shock and couldn't get the plug to budge. So I'm not even try the rest until I can get that one loose. I had to take a break. Trying to do anything on that car is frustrating.
What plug?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:58 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Thanks for the part numbers great help.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 PM
DBH-Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
What plug?
The one on the shock that the wiring harness runs to. There is some pics of it and how to remove the sensor inside on one of these f45 threads.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Yeah I posted those that's my car I thought we were talking about something else my bad....A few wacks and it should start unscrewing then you can do the rest by hand. Here is a tip..smack the **** out of it dont be afraid of it you wont damage it but you cant be shy to hit it hard it will loosen on the threads. man up!!!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Yeah I posted those that's my car I thought we were talking about something else my bad....A few wacks and it should start unscrewing then you can do the rest by hand. Here is a tip..smack the **** out of it dont be afraid of it you wont damage it but you cant be shy to hit it hard it will loosen on the threads. man up!!!
Chicago1 - I notice that you removed the old F45s to remove the sensor. Did you install all of your new shocks first and then go back and plug the sensors back in that you removed fro the old shocks? Just curious of the sequence you used. Thanks Zuti
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I got my C6 ZO6 shock from Gene Culley,,, Good people and excellent prices:

Heres his website.. Give hime a call and he will get your shocks in the mail:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html
Bill,

Thank you for your support. Customers can purchase the C6 Z06 shocks at the following link.

Thank you,
Gene.

http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/c...t/c6z06shocks/

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zuti
Chicago1 - I notice that you removed the old F45s to remove the sensor. Did you install all of your new shocks first and then go back and plug the sensors back in that you removed fro the old shocks? Just curious of the sequence you used. Thanks Zuti
I took the old ones out first then connected the sensors then installed the c6z
Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Ok I took one apart yesterday and got the coil out. Not that difficult. Now I am wondering about how it is wired up, can the wires be cut and a resistor put in place keeping it short. Does it (sensor or resistor ) need to be in an enclosure to prevent damage to it? Will tie wraps be good enough or will they break some rainy night and drop a sensor/resistor ?

I just want to ensure reliability. I plan to use the C6 shocks for replacement. Cant' do work right now have to buy new tires so my wallet will be empty a while. I also just got through paying $1300 for a/c actuator door replacement so shocks will have to ride a while longer. FWIW I had an extra f45 shock and did not use one on the car.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:52 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Update. I went to Radio shack and bought from close out about $2.00 worth of parts made 4 shock bypass simulators and installed tow on the front and drove with F45 disconnected. There were no computer issues. I bought 4 OEM z06 shocks as covered previous and installed both on the front with bypass installed. Car drove like on rails so last week I replaced the rear. Now I have 4 z06 shocks F45 bypassed and I drove it to where depty dawg (local) would not smile and no codes or issues. Just better riding on new Z06 over worn out F45 and way less $$$$. The biggest issue was removing the plug for the shock and plugging in the bypass because I dont' have a lift and had to do the job car on stands. Not much room for fat hands working with tiny plugs. This would be the same difficulty if you had installed new F45 shocks. So the most difficult part was just plugging in the bypass. I made the leads long enough for the parts to be sealed with heat shrink then wrapped in layers of black electrical tape. Stress relief was in the way the wiring was installed to prevent component leads from braking. I also left the chassy mount points on the wires so they would not be free floating. Very secure installation and I expect no issues other than a smile knowing I saved $1500 or more and smile a lot while driving. All the F45 equipment is in place so if I sell the car and anyone wants F45 it will be just a plug in.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

CAR DROVE LIKE ITS ON RAILS // BIG SMILE ON FACE..

Why do I keep hearing those same words???

I expected to hear : MAN,,, I should have done this 5 years sooner!!!

CONGRATS and ENJOY!!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-30-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:20 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
CAR DROVE LIKE ITS ON RAILS // BIG SMILE ON FACE..

Why do I keep hearing those same words???

I expected to hear : MAN,,, I should have done this 5 years sooner!!!

CONGRATS and ENJOY!!

Bill

5 yrs sooner . It took me 2 yrs to figure out how to bypass when GM would not do it. Besides I wanted to complete before my 70th birthday and I work a little slower, but I still beat the birthday by 4 months. It took me 2 days for each shock change.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

YIPPEEE.... sooooo how do you like them?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
YIPPEEE.... sooooo how do you like them?
First thing I noticed was front end stayed level with no lean to either side. Squeek from worn out F45 shock gone so very quiet. When hitting a hole not a jar but very dampened. Cornering car stays flat. I also have Z06 sway bars and aluminum end links.

Car is very nice reminds me of what it was like new. Now if I could get the CD changer to work. it and accepts cd's but the radio press button does not activate it.

More work or buy C7? Spent too much on my plane to afford a C7 now but I could paint C7 on the tail? We a corvette show at local airport I planned to fly in and fly some of the club members but wx was so bad I just brought the C5.

Quick Reply: F45 delete failure on my 98