C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the Vapor Canister Purge Valve be relocated / removed ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Can the Vapor Canister Purge Valve be relocated / removed ?

Guys:

I'm working on cleaning up my engine.

The Vapor Canister Purge Valve is really ugly and I would love to move it somewhere else, or remove it somehow.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
Toque

Its AC Delco 214-641 Vapor Canister Purge Valve
Ddelphi 1997278

Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I'm planning on moving it to near the firewall or further back and running a small dieter tubing to the intake.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you can relocated it, but, most obd2 cars use an evap purge solenoid that operates off manifold vacuum. so, even if you did relocate, the solenoid would need manifold vacuum and you would need to make sure your gas tank vent line goes to the charcoal canister

atp turbo sells some silicone vacuum hose in a variety of colors that's really cool looking and extremely high quality
Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Sure you can move it. Why not?
It has a goes inna a goes outta, and a control from the PCM.

And it is ugly!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks guys !

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks its ugly.

Any ideas on where to pick up connectors like that to run an extension line ?

Thanks !
Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I totally removed mine... just cap off the intake and the line at the firewall and you can tune out the code with hptuners
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by neutron82
I totally removed mine... just cap off the intake and the line at the firewall and you can tune out the code with hptuners
That is a good idea too !

Before I do that I want to fully understand its function.

I would prefer to get an extension for it. To preserve the original functionality of my car.

I just dont know where to get connections like that. Maybe just a rubber hose on both ends sins its a male connection on both ends?

I will also need to extend the sensor harness. I will need to figure out where to get that too.

Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

to my understanding it just vents fuel vapors back to the fuel tank for emissions purposes... I'm not sure if any noticeable vapor will be smelled when it's removed, my car is cammed with no cats so it already smells like fuel which I don't mind at all... try taking the lines off of the solenoid and I'm sure you can just use some fuel hose on each end of it and just cut the wires to the harness and add some wire, resolder, and put new loom on the wires if you want to keep it
Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque

I would prefer to get an extension for it. To preserve the original functionality of my car.

I just dont know where to get connections like that. Maybe just a rubber hose on both ends sins its a male connection on both ends?

I will also need to extend the sensor harness. I will need to figure out where to get that too.

Toque
WOW, it's really so ugly to you you need to move it? Jeez, I never even think about it unless it has a problem.

It's designed to open and let the engine vacuum remove the fumes from the top of the gas tank as the fuel level drops in order to keep the hydrocarbons from escaping into the air. With the covers on the engine you really can't seen it all that well. Depending where you live, the EVAP purge test has to pass in the I/M monitors to pass emissions testing.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 07-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

to my understanding it just vents fuel vapors back to the fuel tank for emissions purposes... I'm not sure if any noticeable vapor will be smelled when it's removed, my car is cammed with no cats so it already smells like fuel which I don't mind at all... try taking the lines off of the solenoid and I'm sure you can just use some fuel hose on each end of it and just cut the wires to the harness and add some wire, resolder, and put new loom on the wires if you want to keep it
Thats an idea... Thanks !

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
WOW, it's really so ugly to you you need to move it? Jeez, I never even think about it unless it has a problem.

It's designed to open and let the engine vacuum remove the fumes from the top of the gas tank and the fuel level drops in order to keep the hyrocarbons from escaping into the air. With the covers on the engine you really can't seen it all that well. Depending where you live, the EVAP purge test has to pass in the I/M monitors to pass emissions testing.

Very good description. Thank you !
Yes the EVAP test is something I need to work properly for my emissions testing.

I'm removing my engine covers and have different valve covers with the coil packs mounted on top. Eventually I'm going to relocate the coil packs to the inside fenders. Trying to relocate this will for sure make things look "cleaner"..... Thats my goal in all this.

Thanks !
Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's designed to open and let the engine vacuum remove the fumes from the top of the gas tank and the fuel level drops in order to keep the hyrocarbons from escaping into the air. With the covers on the engine you really can't seen it all that well. Depending where you live, the EVAP purge test has to pass in the I/M monitors to pass emissions testing.
my covers are removed since I have aftermarket rails and that thing is ugly and takes up too much space on that side that's why I removed it... there are no negative effects of not having it and I pass emissions just fine where I am (toque should have no problem here either)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Thats an idea... Thanks !

Very good description. Thank you !
Yes the EVAP test is something I need to work properly for my emissions testing.

I'm removing my engine covers and have different valve covers with the coil packs mounted on top. Eventually I'm going to relocate the coil packs to the inside fenders. Trying to relocate this will for sure make things look "cleaner"..... Thats my goal in all this.

Thanks !
Toque
Just seems like there are better things to do with the time/money but hey, if it floats your boat-have at it. I think the GM packaging works, and the more you move stuff, the harder to debug later for you and any subsequent owners.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

my covers are removed since I have aftermarket rails and that thing is ugly and takes up too much space on that side that's why I removed it... there are no negative effects of not having it and I pass emissions just fine where I am (toque should have no problem here either)
My Holley Rails are being delivered today, and I got the Proform valve covers installed a few days ago...

You need to come to one of our weekly GTG's to show me your setup ....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...area-24-a.html

Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

vents fuel vapor into the intake manifold, the c5 does not have a vented gas cap and without the charcoal canister you could have some pretty serious vapor build up in the summer.

what a guy could do if you want to remove the solenoid is run a line from the charcoal canister to your air intake in front of the throttle body. earlier japanese cars, like the ones really sold in japan didn't use american obd2 and thus didn't use an evap valve. they just went from the gas tank, to the charcoal canister, to in front of the throttle body. this more or less placed an inert gas tank vent in front of the throttle body

the evap purge solenoid opens when certain conditions are met in order to vent fuel vapor.

personally i think you're better off making a carbon fiber cover or something cool to go over it rather than modding a needed system of the car

Last edited by racebum; 07-03-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Just seems like there are better things to do with the time/money but hey, if it floats your boat-have at it. I think the GM packaging works, and the more you move stuff, the harder to debug later for you and any subsequent owners.
I have had my car since new (10+ yrs) (30k miles).
I may add another vette at some point, but my Z06 is staying with me.
I enjoy modifying it and making it stand out from the rest.
Just my thing I guess.

Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by racebum
the c5 does not have a vented gas cap and without the charcoal canister you could have some pretty serious vapor build up in the summer.
I think I'll work on relocating it since your comment makes a lot of sense.

Toque
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

I have had my car since new (10+ yrs) (30k miles).
I may add another vette at some point, but my Z06 is staying with me.
I enjoy modifying it and making it stand out from the rest.
Just my thing I guess.

Toque
Kind or reminds me of the people that HATE front plates. I put mine on and never think about it again, just like that evap line, who would really know/care but you anyway? 99%+ of the people that look under the hood of a car don't even have a clue what their looking at anyway. But, it's your car so go crazy on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the Vapor Canister Purge Valve be relocated / removed ?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Kind or reminds me of the people that HATE front plates. I put mine on and never think about it again, just like that evap line, who would really know/care but you anyway? 99%+ of the people that look under the hood of a car don't even have a clue what their looking at anyway. But, it's your car so go crazy on it.
I have a front plate... Just not what you would expect to see.

I am trying to clean up my engine bay. (cause I like the look)
I'm removing the cheap plastic engine covers.
New Proform powder coated valve covers.
New Holley fuel rails.
Wire wrap all the ugly wires.
Thats just step one.. I have more plans in the future I'm working on.

I really like to tinker and learn more about my car.
Thats what I like to do.

I fail to see why you are trying to stir things up.
I assume your car is bone stock.
Sounds boring to be honest.

I don't let 99% of folks look under the hood of my car.
Only the 1% that knows what they are looking at gets a chance to see my setup.

Toque

Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Yes, we all know that you think if everyone doesn't keep their car exactly the same way yours is they're doing it wrong. Guess what?

Your way is BORING!!!

Why don't you worry about your car, money, and time and quit bitching at people for doing things the way that they want to? Nobody wants to hear your overly biased BS.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Toque
Try Mike at EFI Connection for factory connectors.

Quick Reply: Can the Vapor Canister Purge Valve be relocated / removed ?