C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing drag

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5
Hmm that makes sense, but what if the stock design is creating enough drag that a wing like this, though you are physically adding something, is simply redirecting the air so that it actually makes the entire car have less drag? I know anything on the car will have some drag, including the wing, but what if the wing's little bit of drag is compensated by fixing the drag for the entire top of the car, windshield base and up for example.

Like I said I'm defiantly not up to speed on all this nor am I arguing this. It just seems like the theory behind it. Looking for as much insight as I can find.
So I guess this puts you right back where you started. While I feel pretty good about my memory about the wings & chutes actually working, I kinda wish I'd been wrong so you could achieve the results you're looking for. My car will be set up for drags in another year or so and I am paying close attention to what you and the other who participate here are doing.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
So I guess this puts you right back where you started. While I feel pretty good about my memory about the wings & chutes actually working, I kinda wish I'd been wrong so you could achieve the results you're looking for. My car will be set up for drags in another year or so and I am paying close attention to what you and the other who participate here are doing.
Possibly, however my theory is that the little bit picked up by the wing is alright because it will take away much more from the upper half of the car. Think of it like this. The wing is a couple inches thick. The windshield to the top of the roof is what, a foot and a half? So if the wing negates that larger area of drag, you end up with less drag over all even if it's creating a little.

I may be totally wrong. But what else could be the purpose of the APR wing I posted as an example. It was made by a very reputable company that claims it will reduce overall drag.. I'm still trying to understand it.

Quick Reply: Reducing drag