C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with oil leaks! huge headache

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM
dbc19
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with oil leaks! huge headache

so I bought a wrecked 01 c5 auto a few months back to fix, and so far ive had a ton of problems. when I drove it around for the first times I noticed there was some oil smoking and figured it was just valve cover gaskets or something since its a 180k ls1. So I go into further research after I notice a good amount of oil dripping onto the driveway, plus oil all over the bottom side of the motor. My oil pressure gauge was at 80 psi and I read where they go bad a lot and will leak down making it look like it was coming from maybe the oil pan or somewhere else. So I replaced that first. Oil still leaking. Changed the oil and filter, replaced the valve cover gaskets(there was oil on the heads obviously coming from the gaskets) still the oil leaks. So I keep researching, then check under the hood and notice my crank pulley has some wobble to it and has a whole lot of buildup around it, plus I see fresh oil dropping off the cradle.
recently replaced my radiator, and was planning to replace my crank seal, timing cover seal, and the pulley soon after. Then I noticed a good bit of oil dripping off next to the oil filter so I figured that couldn't be coming from up front. Car is giving me the biggest headache. If anybody could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
(also recently seen one of my pcv hoses are broke, don't know how much crankcase pressure contributes to these cars)
Old 09-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Paulie Lugnuts
7th Gear

If the oil is dripping from the rear of the engine, it could be a rear main seal or the gasket behind the plate that the RMS goes into. Unfortunately its a lot of work to get to these. You either pull the engine or the trans, diff, driveshaft housing.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

sounds like the car has had a hard life

sell it for what you can and buy a nicer, well cared for car
Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seal around the crank pulley is a known issue especially if the pulley wobbles. Clean everything, put some UV dye in the oil and start looking with a UV light.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 AM
dbc19
2nd Gear

selling it has passed through my mind before, but if I can fix it ide rather do that. a cam swap and a few mods has been the plan for a while and If I have to pull/drop the motor out and do everything at the same time I will. just wondering where all the oil is coming from. and I will try the dye.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with oil leaks! huge headache

Quick Reply: need help with oil leaks! huge headache