C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Snooring in the "Back Seat"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:49 AM
VA Ace
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Snooring in the "Back Seat"

I just recently purchased my 2000 convertible with 66,500 miles and all has gone well so far...until today.

I get a muffled sound coming from the rear of the car that cycles 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off (somewhat erratically), that sounds like someone snoring in the next room...or "back seat".

The strange thing is this only happens when the ignition is "off". if you start the car (starts normally), it seems to stop and when you shot the car off, it doesn't start making the noise immediately...after several minutes it starts again.

I thought it may be the electric fuel pump in the tank, but why would it happen with the ignition "off"? I also thought the fuel pump would be a little louder.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

I have pulled both Fuel Pump fuses with no change in the sound.
It now sounds like it is coming from under the driver's seat...perhaps one of the seat motors is cycling.
Does this sound possible?

Thanks again

Last edited by VA Ace; 09-17-2014 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I have often read in posts here that the seat motor switches often stick, draining batteries, etc.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Maybe the side bolster or lumbar pump?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:09 PM
VA Ace
Cruising

Both good thoughts.

I pulled the 3 seat fuses and currently recharging the battery (it was dead this morning). Hopefully, that will solve the immediate problem.
Since I'm the only one driving the car, pulling the fuses for the time being is not a problem.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Is your car equipped with the interior position memory option (and do you have both driver fobs)? Do you have the "Easy Entry/Exit" option activated on the DIC?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 PM
VA Ace
Cruising

I do have the memory option and I have one key fob that came with the car (car purchased a month ago), I have bought a second GM key fob but have had problems getting both to match with the car (that problem included in this forum as ""Matching" Key Fob").

I'll check to see if the setting you mentioned is set in the DIC.

I did pull the 3 fuses for the seats and that seems to have stopped the cycling noise and hopefully the battery drain.

Last edited by VA Ace; 09-17-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Changet title of other thread name
Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Have you fed that guy back there?

Had a similar issue, although it turned out to be a short with the seat motor; it went away when I disabled easy entry in the DIC. I eventually had the relays an one motor replaced at the stealer.

Or...
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fed Up

Have you fed that guy back there?

Had a similar issue, although it turned out to be a short with the seat motor; it went away when I disabled easy entry in the DIC. I eventually had the relays an one motor replaced at the stealer.

Or...
LOL, that trunk monkey is a bad little dude!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
VA Ace
Cruising

Pulling the 3 fuses to the seats stopped the noise "snoring" and the battery drain. I now can enjoy the car until I get around to tracking which seat/motor/switch is causing the actual problem.

Now the trunk lid won't release using the dash button (an as I reported in another thread, the key fobs don't work (won't "match" with the car).

The saga continues.

Thanks to all who took the time to try and help with this problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Before you go too deep in the seat, make sure that your Seat Multifunction switch is actually going to the center (OFF) position when you release it. Same for the lumbar switch

I have see the circuit board inside the Multifunction switch get corroded and or have a bad DIODE that causes current drain issues.

The LUMBAR module is a whole issues in its self. You could have a damaged bladder or pressure hose and the module will try to constantly fill it.

Get notified of new replies

To "Snooring in the "Back Seat"

Quick Reply: "Snooring in the "Back Seat"