C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone point me in the right direction for a DIY engine building book?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:20 PM
PhiL02Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone point me in the right direction for a DIY engine building book?

So i've spend a bit of time reading on forums on build threads etc... I've been stuck for hours reading all of them!. Now I've always been fascinated with engine building but never actually done it. I hope to someday build up my own engine for example forge my 346 or build a bulletproof short block. I would much rather do these things myself as it ad's to pride of ownership! I've always worked on my own cars and never bring them to a garage.

My question is what legitimate engine building books do I need to be reading?. I like the forums don't get me wrong but I would never build a 10,000 engine from reading on the internet! Also what would be a good engine tuning book?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM
PhiL02Z06
Instructor

Something like this maybe?

http://www.cartechbooks.com/how-to-b...-ls6-v-8s.html
Old 09-19-2014, 03:55 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Amazon.com
Old 09-20-2014, 12:16 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

start with a honda 4 cylinder, something like a d15

something light enough you can pick it up and small and cheap enough you can not really care if something goes wrong

some $100 engine from the junkyard you can tear down and learn to measure clearances on and make mistakes

the two hardest parts of an engine imo are what grit to hone with & piston to wall clearance, and, what to set the main and rod bearings at.

OE spec on most engines gives you this wide range and most the time there are no suggestions on what to hone with. some rings, like thin tool steel rings need a VERY fine hone to seat right. cast iron on the other hand requires a rough crosshatch.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 AM
PhiL02Z06
Instructor

Well I'm a aircraft mechanic, so I've torn down many Lycoming engines and did top-end overhauls, re-honed cylinders, worked with milling machines, lathes, every kind of micrometer you can imagine, changed out jugs on Radial engines, I also have quite a bit of experience on Allison 501-D13 Turbine engines, changing the gear boxes, compressors and turbines and extensive line maintenance on JT8D Turbojet engines as well. In addition to ground running, testing, tuning, breaking in, trim runs etc...

I have the skill, just need to gain the knowledge on the automotive side!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s, CarTech, Inc., Part Nr. SA86, ISBN: 1-884089-84-4

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone point me in the right direction for a DIY engine building book?

Quick Reply: Can someone point me in the right direction for a DIY engine building book?