C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service tire monitering system

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM
jimtackett
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service tire monitering system

hello im new here and also new to the corvette world..my 98 says service tire monitering system and on top of that now it goes into traction control active and put a stop to the car ???are they related and any help would be great ..thanks jim
Old 09-27-2014, 12:10 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtackett
hello im new here and also new to the corvette world..my 98 says service tire monitering system and on top of that now it goes into traction control active and put a stop to the car ???are they related and any help would be great ..thanks jim
No, not related. If you're spinning the tires when the traction control comes on then the car is doing what it was designed to do. Strongly suggest that you read the owners manual. If you don't have one they can easily be found for free online with a simple google search.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to the manuals
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/pdf-downloads

Most likely your TPMS sensor batteries are dead. They are incorporated with the valve stem and on the inside of the tire. You can get new ones, but be careful what brand you purchase and get some advice on which ones. The 98's are an older technology and need a compatible sensor. There are also aftermarket sensors out there that are troublesome i.e. they dont work worth a crap. maybe someone can advise on what brand worked for them. I have an '03 and that is not compatible with the 98's.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:03 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Try starting a new Thread on your traction control issue. We will need the DIC trouble codes to help diagnosis.

Here is how to pull the codes using the dash DIC buttons.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are several things going on here.

1. You need to read and post your Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Its simple and can tell you a LOT about what is going on with your car:

2. The Tire Pressure Sensors may just need reprogramming OR like others have stated, the battery in the sensor may be dead. You can dig the battery out of the sensor and solder another one in but most people just purchase new sensor. Your sensors are SCHREDER Sensors and operate at a specific frequency.

You MUST use the first design sensors and fobs.

However,,,, you can purchase a KIT to up-grade to second design RFA, FOBs and TPS.

Gene Culley at www.gmpartshouse.com sells a complete kit.

Heres a link to a post that describes the procedure:

- C5 Tire Pressure Monitor Sys Up-Grade 97-2000 to 2001 RFA System: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-sensors.html , http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...aded-tpms.html

Here is a link to rebuilding your TPS:

- Tire pressure sensor rebuild - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570376652

If you are not intentionly spinning the tires or loosing traction and you are expierencing Active Handling, you could have a bad Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS)

Reading the DTCs will help diagnose that/

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Codes

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:

1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. NOTE! You can read the DTCs with the engine running and or driving down the road but it can distract you. BE careful! Some DTCs clear themselves when you turn the ignition OFF!

2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold OPTIONS
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL four times within a 10-second period.

Initially, on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.
There are two kinds of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current C code indicates a malfunction is present and active in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes.
More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.
Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.
Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except English/Metric (E/M). Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press and hold the RESET button To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles.
Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5. You can GOOGLE the DTC and also find information on it.

Here is very good site that explains the DTCs:

http://www.corvette-web-central.com/C5DTCcode.html

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:44 PM
jimtackett
Heel & Toe

ok here we go...10 no codes 28 no codes 40 no codes 60 no codes 80 no codes 99 no codes ao-ldcm 43 codes b 2282h b 2284h u 1064 h.. a1-rdcm 3 codes b2283h b2285h u1064h... a6-scm 3 codes b0851h b0856h b2605h... bo-rfa 4 codes c2105hc c2110hc c2115hc c2120h...thats whats going on..please help..thanks jim...
Old 09-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

PLEASE clear them ALL and start fresh. Also,, it will help if you post the DTC: PCM XXXX H /C Most people dont know the numeric prefixes.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:05 PM
jimtackett
Heel & Toe

will do thanks ..
Old 09-27-2014, 08:31 PM
jimtackett
Heel & Toe

ok cleared codes ..drove car for 6-8 miles only codes that came back are the tpms codes for sensers..car still shuts down and displays traction control active at about 40 mph or so..
Old 09-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

IF,,, Your car shuts down and doesnt leave any abnormal DTCs,,, The PCM thinks it shuts down NORMALY by driver interface.

That "again" points to the IGNITION SWITCH........

If it were me,, I would repair or replace that switch.

Bill
Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 PM
jimtackett
Heel & Toe

ok thanks ..it slows the car down to 15 mph or so and then the throttle comes back on..what was the pass key detection circuit code ???is that the ignition switch??thanks jim..
Old 09-28-2014, 01:27 AM
BigGun
Drifting

ok cleared codes ..drove car for 6-8 miles only codes that came back are the tpms codes for sensers..car still shuts down and displays traction control active at about 40 mph or so..
What size are the tires on your car. The rear tires need to be between half an inch to about one inch taller than the front for the traction control to function properly.

Last edited by BigGun; 09-28-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:26 PM
jimtackett
Heel & Toe

they are 315-35-17- rear 275-40-17 front....thanks jim.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 PM
BigGun
Drifting

they are 315-35-17- rear 275-40-17 front....thanks jim.
That's your problem! Those tires have nearly the same outside diameter.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM
gmcginnis
Heel & Toe

I have a 2005 C6 with the message "service tire monitor" After reading here I almost think I need to replace sensors. If I hold it to be true then where is the monitor and can I get at it.????????
I'm a newbie here and in need of a little help.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

The sensors are in the wheels. They are battery powered and only last about 8-10 years.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 PM
gmcginnis
Heel & Toe

Thank you DADAROO. I did know that though. The wheel sensors need to send the signal to something in the electrical system. I believe the sensor output receiver has a problem. I get four "XX" readings when I can't believe all four went at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To service tire monitering system

Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gmcginnis
Thank you DADAROO. I did know that though. The wheel sensors need to send the signal to something in the electrical system. I believe the sensor output receiver has a problem. I get four "XX" readings when I can't believe all four went at the same time.
If you pull your DIC codes and don't see an issue with the RFA. Showing X's means dead batteries. Does you key FOB work? It uses the same RFA.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 AM
gmcginnis
Heel & Toe

DADAROO - thank you for the answer I have been looking for. YUP - key fob works just fine. As they are ten years old I guess it's time for them to go bad. I got a pretty good tire shop just down the road that is very fair with prices. Gonna head there next week. Again - thank you.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Even if there is something a little funky with the RFA you could use new sensors due to the battery age.

If you still have an issue after replacement let us know.

Make sure you get the early sensors since the later ones from about 2001 on are not compatible.

Quick Reply: service tire monitering system