C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smells and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
tommyo4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Smells and check engine light

I have a 97 with good amount of work done. Seems that ever since I did the headers and full exhaust way back with new hi flow cats I get a weird smelll after driving for a bit. It has cam heads injectors cai, exhaust, la6 intake etc.

Anyway, it throws the o2 sensor code but I replaced both front sensors twice as the rear two are deleted with the tune. Asking around people say the smell could be the hi flow cats and may be normal???. It's embarrassing pulling up next to people and it smelling like burning eggs. The car is running very strong with no hesitation. I also was told that the way the bungs for the o2 sensors were welded on the side of the header pipes and not the top. Mtherefore moisture can get inside and cause them to go bad. No is this all hearsay or is this stuff possible?

Is this something to worry about and what can I do? Advice or what to trouble shoot?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If your car was tuned when you had the old poorly functioning O2 sensors, it may be running too RICH now.

Have someone check your Long Term Fuel Trims and see if they are excessively positive.

Rich AFR is the cause of rotten egge smell. The CATs are just doing their job burning the excessive fuel in the exhaust

NOTE. this condition will significantly shorten the life of the CATs and O2 sensors!!!!!!

You may need another TUNE!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-18-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 PM
tommyo4
Racer

Thanks Bill. Ill get in touch with my tuner to check it out again and see.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
tommyo4
Racer

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 AM
sea5like
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default amazed

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If your car was tuned when you had the old poorly functioning O2 sensors, it may be running too RICH now.

Have someone check your Long Term Fuel Trims and see if they are excessively positive.

Rich AFR is the cause of rotten egge smell. The CATs are just doing their job burning the excessive fuel in the exhaust

NOTE. this condition will significantly shorten the life of the CATs and O2 sensors!!!!!!

You may ned another TUNE!
I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge you have for these cars. Just thought I'd let you know how fortunate we all are. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Smells and check engine light

Quick Reply: Smells and check engine light