C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't shift to 2nd after 6k and shaking transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM
fastback03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't shift to 2nd after 6k and shaking transmission?

I have a base 2003 with the following drive line upgrades:

Monster stage 2 w/18lb flywheel
Tick adjustable master cylinder

While doing my can swap back in February I decided to upgrade my clutch and locate this shaking/vibratration issue I have in my drive line. My first thought was the torque tube bushings. I disassemble the torque tube whild doing the clutch install. The bushings looked brand new with not cracking or apparent damage so I did not replace them. I also checked the input shaft and half shaft for play. No play in those. After putting everything back together and making sure the tires are balanced the shaking is still there. Its only during hard accelerations. It feels almost like the transmission is shaking, its torwad the rear of the car. What could be causing this if it is not the wheel balance or torque tube?

Now the 2nd gear shifting problem and I'm not sure if the shaking of the transmission and the shifting problem is related. After installing the new clutch and now shifting at 6.5k during drag racing the problems started. If I shift at 6k it goes into second but takes a lot of force but does not grind. If I shift at 6.5k it tries to go but pops out then grinds. Third gear shifts. But all gears are extremely notchy feeling. If done a shifter adjustment and switched to Mobile 1 ATF and there is no change to my issue. What could be the problem. syncro or shift fork?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you clutch isnt disengaging completely when you fully depress it, the transmission will never shift smoothly. The synchros just can stop the gear to allow the shift.

Jack the rear wheels start the engine, put the trans in first and with the clutch fully depressed, see if the rear wheels are being powered.

If they are add length to the adjustable rod on the master cylinder a llittle at a time until the wheels no longer rotate.

Then see how it shifts..

Bill
Old 10-18-2014, 05:05 PM
fastback03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this. I jacked up the rear and started the car and put it in first. The tires do not rotate. The clutch is working properly I believe.

Get notified of new replies

To can't shift to 2nd after 6k and shaking transmission?

Quick Reply: can't shift to 2nd after 6k and shaking transmission?