C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Code after Plugs and Oil changed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Code after Plugs and Oil changed

I just changed my oil AND my spark plugs (what a PITA!!) and now my newest code is: 10-PCM 0118 and I noticed that my temp gauge is pegged high. WTH?? Also, my new battery voltage as reported on my DIC is 13.5 - 13.6 and just yesterday it was 14.1 steady. The battery is a new Duracell and my Fluke multimeter reads 12.7 on the terminals. The 1637 & 1638 are still there....

What the heck did I mess up to get the 0118 code? Is there something I might've knocked loose while doing the plug change? I'll say this: it was definitely a PITA and I've never had to fight that hard to get to plugs. (I put in Bosch Double Platinum and put anti-sieze on them too). The old plugs were Denso copper types.

Anybody have any good info about the new 0118 ECT all of a sudden? Oh, and my check engine light comes on but clears when I clear the 0118 code but comes right back with the code so I've messed up something.....

Could I have maybe messed up something when putting the fuel rail covers back on? Dang, all I wanted to do was put in new Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and new platinum plugs...
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Sounds like you might have knocked the plug for the coolant temp sensor loose.

Also, clearing a code does not fix a problem. All it does is clear the code until the problem reoccurs.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:34 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed

Also, clearing a code does not fix a problem. All it does is clear the code until the problem reoccurs.
Can you tell me where to look for this probe?

I've pulled off the rail covers again and looked around but didn't see anything obvious. I just came back in from letting it idle for a few minutes to check temp readings. I noticed that the temp was reading for about 10 seconds then would peg high (and cooling fans came on). I would clear the code and the gauge would go back to a "normal" reading as it warmed up but would once again peg high. I did the reset again a couple of times to see if I could learn anything about the issue so I could report it here. Same thing - go back to a normal reading then peg high after several seconds. If the sensor was knocked loose, would it ever read "normal" temps before it pegged out. Also, wouldn't it being loose cause it to always read low? Just asking because I don't know. And thank you for helping me!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Default Fixed it!!

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed

After looking a bit closer, I found the offender and plugged it back in fully. It took a minute to resolve it after cranking it up but it is cleared now. YESSSS!!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bellssn690
After looking a bit closer, I found the offender and plugged it back in fully. It took a minute to resolve it after cranking it up but it is cleared now. YESSSS!!!!
Good to hear.

Get notified of new replies

To New Code after Plugs and Oil changed

Quick Reply: New Code after Plugs and Oil changed