C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffled... at my 2004

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:34 PM
robert51
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffled... at my 2004

Well i am a old disabled vet and reliving my youth i guess so i picked up this 2004 vett a work of art in my eyes... Long story short i took my pride and joy with me to the philippines.. After a few months on the boat and months to clear customs i finally get the car home... One week later i go to start it and the ABS .. Traction control light and Fuel gauge show empty and i know for a fact its not... I also find on the engine compartment rat poop yep rats .. I try to reset the lights and they will not go out so i am thinking ... broken wires ??? But where and do all these three items have wire close to each other?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:43 PM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robert51
Well i am a old disabled vet and reliving my youth i guess so i picked up this 2004 vett a work of art in my eyes... Long story short i took my pride and joy with me to the philippines.. After a few months on the boat and months to clear customs i finally get the car home... One week later i go to start it and the ABS .. Traction control light and Fuel gauge show empty and i know for a fact its not... I also find on the engine compartment rat poop yep rats .. I try to reset the lights and they will not go out so i am thinking ... broken wires ??? But where and do all these three items have wire close to each other?
Hey there,
congrats on that vette. we'll get it up and running soon.

first thing is to use the built in DIC and scan the codes. do you know how to pull the codes? once we have those it will be so much easier to find the issue. http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Docs...d_Diagnostics/ will show you how. need to view the codes, reset them, then go for a drive and check the codes again before turning off the engine. post what you get here.

i'm having some similar issues with my traction control and abs so i'll be following along.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like its been sitting a bit. I would check the battery. A bad battery on these cars can cause a lot of electronic issues, as well as clearing the codes and see what comes back. If you had none of these issues before you left, more than likely the battery.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:45 AM
robert51
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ledesordre
Hey there,
congrats on that vette. we'll get it up and running soon.

first thing is to use the built in DIC and scan the codes. do you know how to pull the codes? once we have those it will be so much easier to find the issue. http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Docs...d_Diagnostics/ will show you how. need to view the codes, reset them, then go for a drive and check the codes again before turning off the engine. post what you get here.

i'm having some similar issues with my traction control and abs so i'll be following along.

well i will have to wait till i can pick the car back up its been in a shop now 3 weeks and they said nothing shows up on the scan so they can not fix it...
Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 AM
robert51
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dmarkshark
It sounds like its been sitting a bit. I would check the battery. A bad battery on these cars can cause a lot of electronic issues, as well as clearing the codes and see what comes back. If you had none of these issues before you left, more than likely the battery.

you know after i got the car out of the container and off the boat the battery was dead and i bought another one and before i could start the car this time it needed to be jumped so you think the battery could be the problem
Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 AM
robert51
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dmarkshark

the car left arizona may of this year but sat in california for months to be checked by Home land security which sent me a bill for their fine work of taking stuff apart and not putting it back together but i would say it sat 4 months and the battery just went totally dead and the new one acted dead till i jumped it and now its fine but the lights are glowing on the dash
Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by robert51
well i will have to wait till i can pick the car back up its been in a shop now 3 weeks and they said nothing shows up on the scan so they can not fix it...
I bet they have no idea how to pull up the DIC codes from the dash. I bet money they used a typical scanner which only looks for emissions codes and will not show the 300+ codes the DIC can pull up.

Did they find any signs of chewed wires?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Get a new battery first thing abd MAKE SURE that the battery terminals are properly torqued. Your is a 2004 and top terminals so you will torque the battery CLAMP NUT in the inch pound range.

NOTE! Don't have the correct torque on hand but,, DO NOT over torque it.

Clear the DTCS using the DIC reset button and once you start the car, read and post ant DTCs that comes back.

After you post that info, we will have a LOT better idea on what is going on.

Don't get discouraged and stay away from those clueless garages!!!

Bill
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
robert51
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I bet they have no idea how to pull up the DIC codes from the dash. I bet money they used a typical scanner which only looks for emissions codes and will not show the 300+ codes the DIC can pull up.

Did they find any signs of chewed wires?

i showed them a few places i thought the wires were chewed and one piece of blue wire i found under the car by the drivers side rear wheel but when i first put the key in and tried to start the car nothing dead then i jumped it with another car and it started but the Traction control light , abs light and after checking closer a promp came up reserve fuel ... I went to the gas station and filled with 5 gallons a container brought it home and filled the tank and still reserve fuel .. did it again and now it reads low fuel
Old 12-23-2014, 07:04 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

rats chew, and you found signs, so I hope it is all right. Probably somebody along the way thought you wouldn't mind if they stole your gas.

Get notified of new replies

To baffled... at my 2004

Quick Reply: baffled... at my 2004