C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get the alternator apart?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:18 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default how to get the alternator apart?

any how to's? I'm looking at having mine powder coated. i have the 2 halves split and the wires unsoldered but i can not figure out how to get the rotor out or the stator.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I linked a couple of threads on this below. I did the same recently. The shaft bearing needs to be pressed out of the housing to release the assembly - it's a small bearing so doesn't take too much to pop it out. Be careful in your masking scheme as the post linked here indicates.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1584318397

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1584318397

I got a tip from BLOWNBLUEZ06 about painting the alternator and bracket:

"You'll need to clear off that coating where the bracket interfaces the block and the alternator chassis. Those need to be clean metal or else you're going to have serious electrical problems. The alternators chassis is what is called absolute ground. Not the frame of the car and not the battery negative post."

You can see most of the areas I ground the paint off of to ensure electrical continuity from the alternator to the head.

Here's a few shots of mine after powder coating.

In the process of putting everything back together.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:18 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the help. So the rotor needs to be pressed out, how does the stator get removed? That seems lodged into place in mine
Old 12-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The stator sits in a machined shallow, peripheral pocket in the same half of the casing. It should pop out with a little enthusiastic motivation. I would mask that thin seat as well as I had to scrape the powder coating off to allow the stator to seat properly in the casing since it's a tight fit. Mask the bearing seat, too, for the same reason. You should also plug the casing holes that the casing screws go through to keep from having to clear those out when you go to screw the casing halves back together. You'll see what I mean when you get it apart.

Get notified of new replies

To how to get the alternator apart?

Quick Reply: how to get the alternator apart?