C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 AM
ms3vette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems

here is the story,
i got a used transmission from another vette owner, had a transmission shop install it. Well now there is no oil circulating to the cooler, the trans started to climb in temp so i just have it parked at home. When i confronted the guy about the issue he asid he just removed the old one and installed this used one and didnt service it. he didnt flush the transmission or put a new filter on it. Now im stuck with a car that i cant enjoy driving cause the temp rises on the transmission. the guy also said that the transmission gauge on the car i could trust it, i told him the issue is that there is no circulation of the oil to the cooler so it could cool the hot oil. He said then there is something internally wrong with the trans, the trans shifts perfectly fine no issue there just is not cooling. Could a dirty trans filter cause the circulation to the cooler to be low or none at all?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:43 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you sure your problem isn't a blockage in one of the lines or the cooler?

If it is shifting then the pump should be pulling oil up through the filter pretty well.

Is the torque converter locking and unlocking normally? The fluid going to the cooler line is coming pretty much straight from the torque converter lock/unlock circuit.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree.. Remove BOTH lines from the radiator and see if you get circulation.

REMEMBER!!! Any fluid that you pump out of the transmission, needs to get re-added. That entails pulling the FILL PLUG with the engine trans warm and ENGINE RUNNING!

I would make sure that the trans is FULL to start with!

Are you sure that the shop filled it and filled it correctly???

I doubt if was shipped FULL. Ask that question and if they cant give you the proper answer,,, I would start there and make sure that its FULL.

BC
Old 01-10-2015, 02:58 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I agree.. Remove BOTH lines from the radiator and see if you get circulation.

REMEMBER!!! Any fluid that you pump out of the transmission, needs to get re-added. That entails pulling the FILL PLUG with the engine trans warm and ENGINE RUNNING!

I would make sure that the trans is FULL to start with!

Are you sure that the shop filled it and filled it correctly???

I doubt if was shipped FULL. Ask that question and if they cant give you the proper answer,,, I would start there and make sure that its FULL.

BC
I agree with Bill If you had "0" line pressure the trans would not shift at all---Sounds more like it's a flow issue---It is very easy to "pinch" a trans cooler line during re-installation---Especially if you have headers---
I wouldn't gamble---I would immediately get a "flush and re-fill" at another shop--
PS: A C5 does not come stock with a spate cooler--So are you talking about the cooler built into the radiator ? or an added on secondary cooler ?--( when you get a flush and fill at a Jiffy Lube type place--they connect onto the trans via the cooler lines connected onto the radiator)
Old 01-11-2015, 07:52 PM
ms3vette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it scheduled to get serviced at a different shop, the cooler I have on it is a cooler installed, had very little fluid in the lines when we tested it.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ms3vette
I got it scheduled to get serviced at a different shop, the cooler I have on it is a cooler installed, had very little fluid in the lines when we tested it.
Did you test the pressure or fluid with the ENG OFF ? or running ?
If it was off any auto trans will eventually bleed back all the fluid back into the pan--That's why you check the fluid level with the engine running---Obviously you can't completely disconnect the line when running or it will spray fluid everywhere----BUT you can crack a cooler line just open to see if there is fluid pressure there at idle

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Problems

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems