C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor reccomendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:29 PM
Extra260
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotor reccomendations needed

Need to replace front and rear rotors. Want to go with drilled and slotted rotors. Just looking for a good set for the street. No racing or track days.

Thanks for the help!
Mark
Old 01-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Extra260
Need to replace front and rear rotors. Want to go with drilled and slotted rotors. Just looking for a good set for the street. No racing or track days.

Thanks for the help!
Mark
What is your budget?
You want drilled and slotted, for the look I guess, you can buy them for 200 dollars a set or you can buy them from, 1500 dollars or you could pay 3,000 dollars.
Drilled and slotted are not for the track ( you recognize that , which is good )
there are good quality 2 piece rotors 1500 dollars like Eradispeed plus 2

there are many entry level drilled and slotted rotors in the 200 dollar a set. some will warp, some will rust quickly... some are zinc coated, some are not. usually cheap drilled and slotted rotors come from China using very poor cast alloys, with lots of internal stress in their manufacturing process, using speed and feeds for speed of manufacturing with little regard for quality. They may look good but you may not be happy with their performance , even on the street.

I always say" I cant afford to buy anything too cheap ". my present rotors are 13 years old and have 80,000 miles on them.. here is a recent picture, these are the Eradispeed plus 2 ( 2 peice rotors )they are 1500 dollars.

IN this shot: 12 years old with 80,000 miles on them

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-30-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Baer Eradispeed here also - on for more than 10 years now, no issues.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:52 PM
joe's98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I put on the Baer decelorotors. much less money than the eradispeeds, look great, anodized. Very happy with the look and quality.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Well despite what people would think of such an inexpensive price, I bought drilled/slotted rotors from Brakemotive, an e-bay vendor. Back when I bought them they cost $180 for 4 rotors with brake pads included, along with free shipping. I only was going to use them for a short while due to limited funds. That was at least three years ago. They have worked great and are lasting better than I expected. Even the included zinc plating has held up well and they are still nice and shiny. I might soon try different pads for a little better initial bite, even though they are still working fine. Just a satisfied suggestion if not tracking. BTW, even though I have not tracked my car it has spent some time on the dragstrip and I'm also a little hard on my brakes because there are lots of fast twisty roads in the area where I live.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Well despite what people would think of such an inexpensive price, I bought drilled/slotted rotors from Brakemotive, an e-bay vendor. Back when I bought them they cost $180 for 4 rotors with brake pads included, along with free shipping. I only was going to use them for a short while due to limited funds. That was at least three years ago. They have worked great and are lasting better than I expected. Even the included zinc plating has held up well and they are still nice and shiny. I might soon try different pads for a little better initial bite, even though they are still working fine. Just a satisfied suggestion if not tracking. BTW, even though I have not tracked my car it has spent some time on the dragstrip and I'm also a little hard on my brakes because there are lots of fast twisty roads in the area where I live.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
Purchased Brakemotive rotors and pads off of ebay for my 04 A6 back in Feb of 2011...still on the car, still look great, granted it's not a DD and I don't track the car......Can't beat the price, although a wasn't happy with the ceramic pads they supplied so i replaced them with AC Delco Ceramics !
Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

There are a lot of people that bad mouth the low cost rotors/pads, but take a look at the 63 pages of comments in the following link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...9-shipped.html

There is another thread that is a poll on impressions for the Brakemotive pad/rotor package. (100% reported awesome)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-rotors.html

Everything that I have read say that most of the low cost drilled rotors will crack if used hard like on track days, however for most normal street driving they seem to work fine. I also read that many people who track their cars treat the rotors as expendable items and replace them frequently so they use the cheaper stock replacement rotors.

Good luck with your search and choice.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Extra260
Instructor

Thanks Guys for the replies! Lots of interesting stuff in the links you Guys provided. Now I guess it's time to make the call and spend a little money!!!

Mark
Old 02-08-2015, 09:39 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Plus one for brakemotive. Installed rotors and pads just yesterday and they are great!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake rotor reccomendations needed

Quick Reply: Brake rotor reccomendations needed