C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 C5 Auto Trans No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:34 AM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 02 C5 Auto Trans No Reverse

Have 50,000 miles on car. Drove down from NJ on Thurs for the Amelia Concourse D'elegance near Jacksonville, Fl. Drive was fine. Friday afternoon no reverse.
I checked area in lot where I parked for any fluid stains on ground-None.

Drive back about 8 miles to friends house, now paying much more attention to the trans. Notice it not shifting quite as it should.
Check his driveway for any fluid leaks--none.

Only 1 Chevy dealer nearby. Had it flat bedded last night.

But, there was some trans fluid on the flat bed.
Waiting for them to open this morning.I am thinking, maybe trans fluid leaked out during the drive from NJ to Amelia Is., Fl.

Maybe there was enough to keep things lubricated but more leaked out under pressure while driving around town on Amelia Is.

As of now at dealers mercy, hoping no serious damage. Hoping dealer Ron Anderson Chevy in Yulee Fl is competent & honest.

Any thoughts advice re:this issue?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Dealer in Yulee, Fl, outside of Jacksonville-Ron Anderson, Chevy. Tech drove car said trans is shot. Reverse obviously shot but forward gears are failing. Needs new trans. New trans shipped from Detroit: $4850 installed. Someone suggested calling another dealer in Jacksonville (Gordon Chevy), same trans coming from Detroit, quoted $3995.
Called Anderson back, asked service writer if there was an error in price quote--because Gordon was almost a grand less. He said he would double check price and get back to me. Have not heard back yet.

I asked if they broke down the trans to see exactly what the story was--said it was not necessary as tech drove the car and was sure trans was shot. No loss of fluid, said fluid was dirty & nasty to use his words.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 04:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the trans is really toast, ask about a Jasper reman transmission. They have a 3 year, 100K miles warranty. You may find that the cost of a Jasper unit will be significantly less that what a dealer will charge for a new GM trans. Typically a Jasper trans will include a torque converter but check to make sure.

A new GM trans will probably not come with a TC.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Thanks for mentioning the Jasper. I thought about a Jasper but was not aware Jasper made Vette trans. I'll definitely look into it
Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Google certified transmission and give them a call. I have not had time to rebuild the last two transmissions i swapped and bought from them. Came with 3 year 75K warranty. No issues with either of them. Had trans within 2 days. Ask for Don and tell him Chris Boston from Fredericksburg told you to call him. Sorry to hear of your luck especially so far from home.
Chris
Old 03-14-2015, 05:19 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Default Certified Transmissions?

Chris
Thanks for the info. Found a few Certified Trans in the area.
Do you know if they're located on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville or Blanding Blvd in Orange Park

I guess I can call both & ask for the names you mentioned.
Thanks
M West
Old 03-14-2015, 05:52 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Call RPM, they may be able to help you out.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/
Old 03-14-2015, 07:47 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

4DRush
I'll check out RPM. Thanks.
I was in York a few weeks ago. Was picking up a Miata I got my wife for my wife. Met the seller at his workplace, a big ice factory near the center of town.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:43 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by mwestc5
Have 50,000 miles on car. Drove down from NJ on Thurs for the Amelia Concourse D'elegance near Jacksonville, Fl. Drive was fine. Friday afternoon no reverse.
I checked area in lot where I parked for any fluid stains on ground-None.

Drive back about 8 miles to friends house, now paying much more attention to the trans. Notice it not shifting quite as it should.
Check his driveway for any fluid leaks--none.

Only 1 Chevy dealer nearby. Had it flat bedded last night.

But, there was some trans fluid on the flat bed.
Waiting for them to open this morning.I am thinking, maybe trans fluid leaked out during the drive from NJ to Amelia Is., Fl.

Maybe there was enough to keep things lubricated but more leaked out under pressure while driving around town on Amelia Is.

As of now at dealers mercy, hoping no serious damage. Hoping dealer Ron Anderson Chevy in Yulee Fl is competent & honest.

Any thoughts advice re:this issue?
Thanks
Here's an update to my story. Ron Anderson Chevy in Yulee, Fl. got back to me and said they made an error in pricing my trans replacement. Correct price is $3995. It's ordered and hopefully will arrive in time to get me back on the road by Thurs am.

I also e-mailed GM, asking if they would be willing to do a goodwill assist in this $4000 repair job. I was dumbfounded to get a return call from someone in Detroit within 12hrs of my e-mail.

They said they would check into my claim and have an answer by Wed am at the latest. I don't know if they are blowing smoke up my tailpipe or they are genuinely considering some sort of assistance.
I'll keep you posted.

Decided against the rebuild only because with a new GM trans I have 3yr-36,000 mile warranty--good everywhere.

I'd consider local trans shop if I were local. Their are no national trans chains near me and I don't have the time to really shop around.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Don't let the dealer keep your old trans for free.

Bring in home or call RPM & arrange for it to be shipped to them (they do it everyday)

Have the trans fixed & sell it or sell it to RPM
Old 03-17-2015, 10:28 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Don't let the dealer keep your old trans for free.

Bring in home or call RPM & arrange for it to be shipped to them (they do it everyday)

Have the trans fixed & sell it or sell it to RPM
That's something to consider.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Update On My Transmission Story
First off GM Customer Service got back to me, no help coming from them. Not disappointed, I was not really expecting anything from GM. Figured it was worth a shot.

Ron Anderson Chevrolet in Yulee, Fl. told me they expected trans Tues. afternoon or Wed am at latest. They never took the initiative and ever called me regarding delays in the trans arrival.
It did not arrive Tue
It did not arrive Wed
It did not arrive Thurs
It did not arrive Fri
I don't think it arrived Sat.
I realize the shipment is out of their control. Dealing with truckers and consolidators can be very frustrating. I don't know if they even tried to locate the status of the shipment.
As I mentioned they never ever called me to advise status of trans. I called them Fri late afternoon. I was assured they had tracked the location of the trans and it would be at their location Sat. am and installed by end of day Sat.
They would call me to advise me of status.
I never received that call. Don't know if it's there, if it's installed or never arrived.
I had no confidence the trans would arrive in time for me to make it back home in time for work on Monday. I already missed 4 days of work. I flew home early Fri morning. As soon as I get the word the transmission is in and all is OK I'll have my car shipped home.

In the mean time I found a $250 GM rebate on line for the trans. It's odd that no one mentioned that to me. Not the dealer not GM.

That's my story for now.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:30 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Still time to call RPM now that you're home, probably save you money

Get notified of new replies

To 02 C5 Auto Trans No Reverse

Quick Reply: 02 C5 Auto Trans No Reverse