C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Bolt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Caliper Bolt Replacement

I am replacing the brake pads and rotors on my 00 Nassau. The Service Manual says to replace the caliper bolts anytime you remove them. How many of you actually get new bolts rather than just use the old ones? It is Sunday, and Auto Zone, O'Reilly's and Advanced don't carry them.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:58 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Manual states not to re use them.
I'd say most members that don't race their cars, re use the caliper mount bolts.

If you bought the car used & are not sure that it hasn't been tracked, I'd just go ahead and buy new ones.

If re using the bolts, remove the old lock tite from the threads & apply fresh red loc tite.

Check with the manual for specific torque spec.
I'm thinking in the neighbor hood of approximately 129 ft lb.

You can use an air impact gun for re moving but.....
Don't use an air impact for installing these bolts.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The factory caliper bracket bolts have a threadlocker already installed on them.

All you need to do with the large bolts is to remove the old threadlocker material using a wire brush and some brake parts cleaner. You should also clean the female threads on the bracket. I use a brass 12 gauge shotgun bore brush and that works to clean up the threads.

When you are ready to reinstall the caliper brackets, apply some Blue Loctite to the bolt threads and thread the bolts in and torque to spec. The red Loctite requires an application of heat to loosen the material.

Same with the small bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. Clean the threads on the bolts, then the female threads in the guide pins and apply some Blue Loctite. Then torque to spec. If you don't want to bother cleaning the small bolts, you can get the same bolts at Home Depot or Lowe's. Just make sure they are metric Grade 8.8.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I've never had an issue reusing the stock bolts... they aren't tty bolts like the heads or crank bolt, I think they say to buy new ones because of the loctite that comes on them which you can easily reapply... I think they do that to try to get more money
Old 03-29-2015, 04:14 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The factory caliper bracket bolts have a threadlocker already installed on them.

All you need to do with the large bolts is to remove the old threadlocker material using a wire brush and some brake parts cleaner. You should also clean the female threads on the bracket. I use a brass 12 gauge shotgun bore brush and that works to clean up the threads.

When you are ready to reinstall the caliper brackets, apply some Blue Loctite to the bolt threads and thread the bolts in and torque to spec. The red Loctite requires an application of heat to loosen the material.

Same with the small bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. Clean the threads on the bolts, then the female threads in the guide pins and apply some Blue Loctite. Then torque to spec. If you don't want to bother cleaning the small bolts, you can get the same bolts at Home Depot or Lowe's. Just make sure they are metric Grade 8.8.
Good tips C4, as usual.

I have found acetone to be the best solvent to use on Loc-Tite type thread locking material (quart can cheap at Lowe's or Home Despot), along with the aforementioned wire brush of course.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Shoot I have had mine on and off so many times I stopped counting. I didn't know you were supposed to buy new ones. I just added Loctite and called it a day and my brakes see plenty of 150-0 blasts
Old 03-30-2015, 02:31 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
When you are ready to reinstall the caliper brackets, apply some Blue Loctite to the bolt threads and thread the bolts in and torque to spec.
Hah, when I removed the ones on my car, the previous owner had put anti-seize on them! Go figure.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
I've never had an issue reusing the stock bolts... they aren't tty bolts like the heads or crank bolt, I think they say to buy new ones because of the loctite that comes on them which you can easily reapply... I think they do that to try to get more money
I have mine off and on 2x a month for track days to switch out rotors. They probably say to repl at shop because it takes a while to clean the loctite off of them. Just quicker at $80/hr to repl with new.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Keeping the lawyers happy......

Originally Posted by waddisme
............ They probably say to repl at shop because it takes a while to clean the loctite off of them. Just quicker at $80/hr to repl with new.
To say nothing of the potential liability factor for GM. This is, after all, the brake system being repaired. Kinda important.

"Official" repair procedures/recommendation(s) are the FIRST thing the bloodsu,......er, lawyers go to in a lawsuit. A LOT of what we see in the FSMs are due to CYA factor(s).
Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I suppose you shouldn't, but besides re-using the bolts I've also never used any type of thread locker on either the large bracket bolts or the smaller caliper mounting bolts. The first time I had them off was when I bought the car and that was probably 60k miles ago.

So, I agree that lock-tite blue would be more than enough to hold them if you want that extra assurance of a thread locker.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 AM
YELLO C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I suppose you shouldn't, but besides re-using the bolts I've also never used any type of thread locker on either the large bracket bolts or the smaller caliper mounting bolts. The first time I had them off was when I bought the car and that was probably 60k miles ago.
I've probably changed pads or rotors 40-50 times and never used thread locker either. No problems. Never had any brake parts come loose. But if it makes you feel more comfortable, I suppose it couldn't hurt to use the blue.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:53 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

This is one of those ****ling questions every time I'm under the car. The new tty bolts are expensive if you buy new every time. If you google torque to yield bolt failure and or broke, there are no results--that's amazing. I'm going to reuse mine, and bring the new as spares, and save the question for some of the engineers at the track. But, willing to bet they reuse theirs. If an aeronautical engineer reuses his, that's good enough for me.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Caliper bolts aren't TTY. The required re-use is to get the thread locker applied to the bolt. Depending on which bolts you are tightening, the torque values are different. Make sure you have the correct values. I only use the Blue 242 Loctite on brake bolts.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Thanks C4CRUISER - I'll be installing my powder-coated calipers soon. I also saw another thread regarding required lube for this job. This forum rocks!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I also reuse mine and frequently change between street and track pads. The first few times I cleaned the bolt and coated them with VibraTite. Its closer to the original treatment. Now I just use Loctite. I use red, blue is too weak for my liking.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Bolt Replacement

Quick Reply: Caliper Bolt Replacement