C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Gauge Cluster??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Gauge Cluster??

Is there information stored in a 1999 or 2003 analog gauge cluster and will the 2003 Z06 gauge cluster swap out with a 1999 cluster? They look identical right down to the connections. I want to put the 2003 Z06 cluster in my 1999 because I like the carbon fiber background on the 2003 Z06 cluster and all the controls are more crisp looking. Both cars have the HUD but the 1999 has tire pressure monitoring. I was wondering if the 2003 cluster would display the information from the tire pressure monitoring system even if it comes from a car that doesn't have the TPMS or if the clusters store programming information about the TPMS, mileage or any other information. I have the clusters removed from both cars thanks to a removal link I found during a search. I pulled the cluster to mainly replace the bulbs with blue LED's which leads to another question. I have the side control LED's but cannot figure out what illuminates the actual gauges. Are there bulbs or is there some luminescent material at work??? Thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Yes you can swap them and everything will work and display TPM sensor info.

However, if you don't swap the large green motherboard you will have to have the mileage reset since it is stored there.

This may help if you want to swap it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570380674

Mr. Sam
Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Tony#Team24
.......... I have the side control LED's but cannot figure out what illuminates the actual gauges. Are there bulbs or is there some luminescent material at work??? Thanks
No "bulbs". Two black light/UV tubes do the work. Phosphorescent or luminescent type material on the gauge/pointer faces.
That's the power supply for them that is piggybacked on the rear of the IPC assembly. Neither they, nor the power supply, is available as a separate item(s). Buy used as needed.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Have a Z06 cluster in my 99 FRC, TPMS works fine in mine. Also tuned to the 6500 redline
Old 07-29-2015, 01:17 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Default Thank You

Thanks everyone. I really enjoy this place. You guys never fail to answer a question thoroughly. Thanks for the link about how to disassemble the gauge cluster dadaroo. My Z06 only has 33,400 miles and my 1999 has 87,100. I could shave about 50,000 miles off my 1999 by not changing the motherboard but I wouldn't do that unless there was no way around it....I plan to keep my 1999 and pass it to my son later in life but you never know as a Corvette owner so I'll change out the green motherboard. Thanks again for the answers and dis-assembly link. It all helps a bunch.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
No "bulbs". Two black light/UV tubes do the work. Phosphorescent or luminescent type material on the gauge/pointer faces.
That's the power supply for them that is piggybacked on the rear of the IPC assembly. Neither they, nor the power supply, is available as a separate item(s). Buy used as needed.
Thanks I was rushing to a Client request and forgot to address the UV bulbs/tubes.

LoneStarFRC is correct on the UV bulbs.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Default Thanks Again

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Thanks I was rushing to a Client request and forgot to address the UV bulbs/tubes.

LoneStarFRC is correct on the UV bulbs.
Thanks for all the information. I ended up taking the 1999 cluster apart for the motherboard but it was really time consuming so I just left the Z06 cluster intact and installed it in my 1999. The tire pressure information is there but is not displaying any pressures. Front and rear are just blank where the pressures usually are. I only recently put new sensors in and had the system programmed so I'm not completely sure how it fully operates. Does the car need to be in motion for the pressures to display or have I lost programming somehow messing with the clusters? I got really lucky on the programming by my local Chevrolet. I had the Z06 titanium exhaust installed by an exhaust and tire shop that installed the sensors but could not program the aftermarket sensors. I just drove up to the Chevy dealer service center and they pulled it in and hooked it up to a computer and it took them about five times to get the sensors programmed and the manager only charged me $20 cash as long as he didn't have to print up a service ticket. That is rare.....They will get my business on things I can't handle from now on but I'm wondering why the pressures are blank? The pressures were there before I took the cluster out?? Not a problem if they must be re programmed. The look of the Z06 cluster is much better looking than the plain Corvette cluster. My Z06 is totaled from a front collision at 33,580 miles according to the cluster. The LS6 engine survived without damage and everything from the firewall back is perfect. All glass survived and the left front headlight assembly survived along with steering and suspension components on the left front. All red calipers survived along with stainless braided brake lines and 3 pristine Z06 wheels survived. The right front was where I impacted so that wheel sustained damage but everything in the interior is like new and still has that new car smell. I'm either going to sell the LS6 engine or take the intake and heads and have them ported and polished to put on my LS1 engine. I will eventually either supercharge or procharge my engine for max horsepower and torque. Any advice on all these components from the tire pressure sensors to max horsepower is greatly appreciated. I want to end up in the neighborhood of 550-600hp with a pretty smooth idle so I'm not going crazy with the cam. I want to still drive the car most any day unless it's raining or snowing. Thanks everyone!!!! These forums are absolutely amazing. I only joined a month or so ago and every question I've asked has been completely and correctly answered usually within hours. Those that are willing to take the time to answer whatever question, no matter how simple is what make these forums the best I've ever come across. I think I'll become a lifetime supporting member in the coming weeks. The knowledge I'm gaining with pictorials and helpful links plus first hand knowledge is worth it. Thanks one more time everyone!!! Great information...
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You have to drive it to get any readings.

FYI, you can enter the TPS programming mode using the DIC and then program the sensors with a big magnet. It's really simple to do and should only take 5 minutes at most.

If I had both cars in front of me I'd be swapping the ABS system from the Z into the 99 or at least taking all the parts off so I could when the EBTCM on the 99 fails.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 07-30-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Default Thank You

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
You have to drive it to get any readings.

FYI, you can enter the TPS programming mode using the DIC and then program the sensors with a big magnet. It's really simple to do and should only take 5 minutes at most.

If I had both cars in front of me I'd be swapping the ABS system from the Z into the 99 or at least taking all the parts off so I could when the EBTCM on the 99 fails.
Would you please elaborate as to where this module waiting to fail is located and what it does please. Also provide the steps involved using the magnet over the tire pressure sensor method of programming also if you don't mind? I noticed the dealership had a module hooked to the plug under the dash and another hand held unit they placed around each tire and the horn would honk when the sensor was properly programmed. I noticed them using a large magnet at one time but I'm unsure what worked. These are aftermarket sensors but if I ever have to install and program new ones I would certainly like to know the procedure. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The EBTCM is the controls of the ABS/AH/TC system and there are no new modules available for 97-00 cars. Also, the SWPS is also not available for 99-00 cars but I believe you could use a 97-98 SWPS if your car doesn't have AH.

Your life will be much easier if you learn to use the forum search or Google to find info.

The forum search is to the top right on each section in a drop-down. A forum search for EBTCM or EBCM will give you more info than you'll ever want to read. A forum search for TPMS will give lots of info on that system too.

A Google search for "c5 corvette EBTCM" will also get you lots of info. Similarly. a search for "c5 corvette tpms programming" will get you lots of info on this too including a YouTube video of the procedure as one of the first results.

Hint - Putting site:www.corvetteforum.com will limit a Google search to this forum. Google does a better job than the forum search anyways.

As for the magnet, just use a good strong one which is probably explained in the video or one of the search links.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Vendors sell a good magnet to do this but something like an old speaker magnet will work. If the horn will beep then the magnet is strong enough.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Programming

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system interfaces with the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the serial data line. Once the program mode is accessed through the IPC, each sensor's unique identification code can be programmed into the receiver's memory. Each sensor must transmit the unique code in the proper sequence. A magnet must be held close to the sensor in order to force the sensor to transmit the identification code. The IPC will display a message as each sensor is programmed, and when to proceed to the next sensor for programming. The receiver also sends a message to the BCM to sound the horn one time, indicating that the sensor properly transmitted an identification code. If the programming sequence is cancelled before any sensor is programmed, or if the vehicle's battery is disconnected, the receiver will remember all current identification codes. As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor identification code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receiver's memory.

Tool required (any medium strength magnet, U or Disk type)

The official GM tool is (J 41760) Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Programming Tool.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.
3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.
Notice: Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Cautions and Notices.
5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.
6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin
the programming sequence.
7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.
8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.
9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed
by the IPC messages:
- LEARN R FRONT TIRE
- LEARN R REAR TIRE
- LEARN L REAR TIRE
Programming Cancellation
1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met: - The program mode is exited through the DIC.
- The ignition is turned to OFF.
- All four sensors have been programmed.
- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors
have been learned.
2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Default Thank You

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Vendors sell a good magnet to do this but something like an old speaker magnet will work. If the horn will beep then the magnet is strong enough.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Programming

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system interfaces with the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the serial data line. Once the program mode is accessed through the IPC, each sensor's unique identification code can be programmed into the receiver's memory. Each sensor must transmit the unique code in the proper sequence. A magnet must be held close to the sensor in order to force the sensor to transmit the identification code. The IPC will display a message as each sensor is programmed, and when to proceed to the next sensor for programming. The receiver also sends a message to the BCM to sound the horn one time, indicating that the sensor properly transmitted an identification code. If the programming sequence is cancelled before any sensor is programmed, or if the vehicle's battery is disconnected, the receiver will remember all current identification codes. As soon as the receiver learns the first sensor identification code, all previously stored codes are erased from the receiver's memory.

Tool required (any medium strength magnet, U or Disk type)

The official GM tool is (J 41760) Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Programming Tool.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.
3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.
Notice: Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Cautions and Notices.
5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.
6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin
the programming sequence.
7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.
8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.
9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed
by the IPC messages:
- LEARN R FRONT TIRE
- LEARN R REAR TIRE
- LEARN L REAR TIRE
Programming Cancellation
1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met: - The program mode is exited through the DIC.
- The ignition is turned to OFF.
- All four sensors have been programmed.
- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors
have been learned.
2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.
I will use search more often but when someone brings up a subject I like to hear their expertise since we get on a particular subject. I find most don't mind sharing their information and I get to meet new people on here since I'm new to the site. I have used the search option many times to cover things I need information about. I really don't mean to bother. I'm just meeting the minds behind the information. I like to meet you technical people and I'm sure people like to share their expertise from time to time but thank you for the search tip.
Thank you for the programming information. I'm printing a book full of instructions and pictorials from the tech experts here. Thanks to everyone again. I appreciate it very much. Your time is valuable so I'm very grateful for all the help....

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Gauge Cluster??

Quick Reply: C5 Gauge Cluster??