C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM
vette670
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slave cylinder

my slave cyl line has a leak right under the master cylinder is there a way to fix this without having to change the whole slave cylinder? the slave cylinder is not that old. there seems like there has to be a way to fix this without having to take the whole tranny out. any ideas?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:23 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OEM line is pinned to the master. You can unpin it, then use the quick disconnect on the end of the line by the slave cylider. Replace, repin and reconnect to slave. Then bleed.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:43 PM
vette670
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboZ51
The OEM line is pinned to the master. You can unpin it, then use the quick disconnect on the end of the line by the slave cylider. Replace, repin and reconnect to slave. Then bleed.
can I get the line or do I have to buy the whole setup?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The hydraulic lines are two separate lines. The one that comes off the master cylinder and the line that comes off the slave cyl. They connect together with a male and female quick disconnect fitting.

Which of your lines are leaking?? The line that comes off the master or line on the slave??

Bill
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 PM
vette670
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The hydraulic lines are two separate lines. The one that comes off the master cylinder and the line that comes off the slave cyl. They connect together with a male and female quick disconnect fitting.

Which of your lines are leaking?? The line that comes off the master or line on the slave??

Bill
right under the master cyinder. how hard of a job is it? do they sell the line? when I called the dealer he said it was all one unit. im glad to hear they split.were do I get the line? and the tool.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vette670
right under the master cyinder. how hard of a job is it? do they sell the line? when I called the dealer he said it was all one unit. im glad to hear they split.were do I get the line? and the tool.
Well,,,, Good news and BAD NEWS. First the BAD news... GM does NOT sell just the line.. The good news is,, you can probably have one made.. Look in GOOGLE for your area and see if you can find a place that make hydraulic lines. Motorcycle/ 4 wheel shops are good places to look. Sometimes,,, they can use your fittings and make it work.

If that fails,, I may be able to help ya/

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-29-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 AM
vette670
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Well,,,, Good news and BAD NEWS. First the BAD news... GM does NOT sell just the line.. The good news is,, you can probably have one made.. Look in GOOGLE for your area and see if you can find a place that make hydraulic lines. Motorcycle/ 4 wheel shops are good places to look. Sometimes,,, they can use your fittings and make it work.

If that fails,, I may be able to help ya/

BC
if I bought the whole slave cylinder could I use the front half of the slave hydraulic line? I would rather pay for the slave than drop the whole transmission.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:14 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

if I bought the whole slave cylinder could I use the front half of the slave hydraulic line? .........
Yes. Your o-ring seems to be either pinched/damaged somehow. A very uncommon occurrence.

Buy a used one, knock out roll-pin, install replacement line, you're done.

See post #2.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 AM
vette670
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Yes. Your o-ring seems to be either pinched/damaged somehow. A very uncommon occurrence.

Buy a used one, knock out roll-pin, install replacement line, you're done.

See post #2.
no I changed the harmonic balancer must have put a pinhole on the line by pushing it up. by looking at it right were the foum booty protecter right were the steering shaft is the foam looks like it held water and the line is rusted.so all it took is alittle moving around and it sprung a leak. the slave is fairly new. car sat for 3 yrs after the new clutch went in
Old 07-30-2015, 07:20 AM
vette670
6th Gear

no I changed the harmonic balancer must have put a pinhole on the line by pushing it up. by looking at it right were the foum booty protecter right were the steering shaft is the foam looks like it held water and the line is rusted.so all it took is alittle moving around and it sprung a leak. the slave is fairly new. car sat for 3 yrs after the new clutch went in
were can I get the disconnect tool?
Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any auto parts. The tool that came with my Tick master is just a square thin piece of brass with a cut-out arch in it. Some say you can push it down with an open end wrench (5/8?)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Regardless of where the leak is located, it is still apparently leaking and the method to change it out remains the same. Knock out roll-pin on one end and release the QC on the other.

Get notified of new replies

To slave cylinder

Quick Reply: slave cylinder