C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 C5 Manual Transmission - Can shift into all upward gears, 1st, 3rd, 5th,

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
JohnnyRock
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 C5 Manual Transmission - Can shift into all upward gears, 1st, 3rd, 5th,

I am able to shift into any upward gear, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and Reverse but something is blocking me from shifting downward into 2nd, 4th, or 6th gear. Whatever is blocking the shifter from going downward is solid as I cannot even come close to shifting in those gears that are in the downward position on the shifter. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

John
Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JohnnyRock
I am able to shift into any upward gear, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and Reverse but something is blocking me from shifting downward into 2nd, 4th, or 6th gear. Whatever is blocking the shifter from going downward is solid as I cannot even come close to shifting in those gears that are in the downward position on the shifter. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

John

John

You need to add some info:

Mileage on car
Stock or aftermarket shifter

My recommendation would be to remove the console and shifter close out pad.

Inspect the shifter and shift box. Make sure that the top shift plate is properly attached to the box and the rubber bushings between the shifter and torque tube are NOT deteriorated. Make sure that the connector to the shift 2rod is properly connected.

BC
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 PM
JohnnyRock
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for your help Bill

Thank you Bill for your assistance. I did take your advice and remove everything to get to the shifter. I immediately noticed a long bolt, with no head, but a tightening nut on it, that had completely came out of the back of the shifter and fell into a recessed area and lodged itself there. This is what was not allowing my shifter to go into a downward position. I screwed the long bolt most of the way back in, tightened the nut, and then tested everything. It is shifting fine now. The rubber grommets aren't bad at all and there is almost no movement in the shifter so it seems adjusted well. It is an aftermarket, short throw, shifter but I'm not sure which brand it is, or model.

My car is approaching 130,000 miles. All is well for now.

Thanks again Bill. I REALLY do appreciate you motivating me to look into this myself instead of taking it to the shop!

John

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 C5 Manual Transmission - Can shift into all upward gears, 1st, 3rd, 5th,

Quick Reply: 1998 C5 Manual Transmission - Can shift into all upward gears, 1st, 3rd, 5th,