C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01+ EBCM in 97-00 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The only function related to the ABS/AH/TC in the PCM is the torque control AKA cut back engine power to stop the wheels from spinning. So, all you can change is how much power is cut. The interface from the EBCM to the PCM is a PWM signal that basically tells the PCM how much the torque needs to be reduced.

The PCM has no control over what the EBCM is doing. You still get the AH/ABS/TC operation of the EBCM even when you completely disable the torque control in the PCM. You also still get all AH/ABS/TC messages with the torque control in the PCM disabled.

With the cluster still showing issues with the EBCM even with it completely dead, I'd have to think either the cluster or the BCM is polling the EBCM and throwing those warning when it doesn't get a response.
Could the PCM be programmed so ABS does not function? I have found a way I can get the vehicle registered without ABS, BUT it needs to be completely removed from the vehicle. I would need to have no ABS related warnings.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

No, the PCM can not be programmed to disable the ABS function.

I'm quite confused how my second paragraph wasn't clear......
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
Could the PCM be programmed so ABS does not function? I have found a way I can get the vehicle registered without ABS, BUT it needs to be completely removed from the vehicle. I would need to have no ABS related warnings.
not with hptuners, or efilive. here is a screenshot showing what hptuners can do. only things related to engine and transmission. the pcm does very little communicating with the ebtcm and has no control over it. tuning software companies are not going to make something that can removed a safety related feature of a car. way too much liability.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mrr23; 08-11-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:18 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

my abs module is out. when it no longer communicates, i get a service vehicle soon message in the DIC. it does not turn the SES light on.you will get these codes per module

10-PCM P1571 TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM DESIRED TORQUE CIRCUIT
28-TCS NO COMM.
58-SDM U1040 Loss of Communication

now with hptuners, you can turn off the reporting of the code to the PCM. this still won't turn off the abs and tc lights or the DIC reporting across the ticker.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:35 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrr23
my abs module is out. when it no longer communicates, i get a service vehicle soon message in the DIC. it does not turn the SES light on.you will get these codes per module

10-PCM P1571 TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM DESIRED TORQUE CIRCUIT
28-TCS NO COMM.
58-SDM U1040 Loss of Communication

now with hptuners, you can turn off the reporting of the code to the PCM. this still won't turn off the abs and tc lights or the DIC reporting across the ticker.

Well thats a start, so does that mean the abs fault codes wont store in the fault codes list?

What about a custom dash - with new guages so there is no display?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

There are no codes for the module when it's dead because you can't communicate with it to get any codes from it. When you read the codes for each module the code reader is asking that module to respond with the codes. The PCM stores drivetrain codes, the EBCM stores ABS type codes, the RDCM stores right door issue codes, the HVAC module stores the heating and AC codes, etc, etc. No module = no comms or no response when looking for codes.

All the triggers for the ABS/AH/TC lights and messages are relayed over the serial bus between the cluster and the EBCM. If the EBCM does not respond to the cluster then the cluster turns-on the ABS and TC lights and displays the service warning by default since it's programmed to do that as a warning that the ABS system is on the fritz. All that you see in front of you on the cluster is due to the cluster programming. If you get rid of the stock cluster so there is no display and there is no ABS light and there is no TC light then you won't see them anymore.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 08-12-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
There are no codes for the module when it's dead because you can't communicate with it to get any codes from it. When you read the codes for each module the code reader is asking that module to respond with the codes. The PCM stores drivetrain codes, the EBCM stores ABS type codes, the RDCM stores right door issue codes, the HVAC module stores the heating and AC codes, etc, etc. No module = no comms or no response when looking for codes.

All the triggers for the ABS/AH/TC lights and messages are relayed over the serial bus between the cluster and the EBCM. If the EBCM does not respond to the cluster then the cluster turns-on the ABS and TC lights and displays the service warning by default since it's programmed to do that as a warning that the ABS system is on the fritz. All that you see in front of you on the cluster is due to the cluster programming. If you get rid of the stock cluster so there is no display and there is no ABS light and there is no TC light then you won't see them anymore.
This could be the cheap answer for me. If I disconnect the abs, engine light and dic display what important information would I be missing out on? Could I wire in a trans temp guage and live without any other warnings?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
This could be the cheap answer for me. If I disconnect the abs, engine light and dic display what important information would I be missing out on? Could I wire in a trans temp guage and live without any other warnings?

what you could do is remove the bulbs for those two lights. there is a guy that posted on here a while back that made a product that would simulate pushing the reset button on startup to clear the DIC message ticker.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:02 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Dont know if you have the m or v code ebcm. But this would be your easiest and cheapest way around your issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-pump.html
Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Do you even know exactly what is wrong with your current system???
Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Burkdog62
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default '01+ EBCM in 97-00 C5

Has anybody considered trying the swap in stages? For example first step would be to swap in the EBCM/BPMV and SWPS with the harness alteration to see if electronically it does it fact work then use a Tech 2 to exercise the module. If it didn't work then your not that far into it that you could restore it back, sounds too easy so there must obviously be something I am missing.

Then second step would be to bend the new brake lines or purchase the lines off a salvage C5? This would be for the 99 and 00 years, the 97 & 98 will obviously require a little more work.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Burkdog62
Has anybody considered trying the swap in stages?
I don't know of anyone who has attempted any part of the swap. Lots of people "interested" but that interest ends at actually attempting it. I'm not going to bother because my car isn't broken.

But, it wouldn't be a bad idea to modify the harness to plug-in the newer module and see what happens.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

IF my EBCM were to fail I'd dive head first into this. It gives a sporadic ABS/TCS error from time to time so it's coming at some point, but I'm not going to dive in until it's absolutely necessary. Brake lines are kind of my niche thing so plumbing isn't a concern for me.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Burkdog62
Instructor

Default '01+ EBCM in 97-00 C5

Yeah I'm in the same spot nothing is wrong with mine yet so it leaves little incentive to actually proceed. If I find a decent deal on the parts I may pick them up and try it sometime over the winter.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:19 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by Burkdog62
Yeah I'm in the same spot nothing is wrong with mine yet so it leaves little incentive to actually proceed. If I find a decent deal on the parts I may pick them up and try it sometime over the winter.
Having problems finding someone to do the job

Looks like its time to trade in!

I give up ):
Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this swap. From 99 to 2001 EBTCM+BPMV. Later I'll write about this with pictures.

You need:
1) EBTCM+PUMP 2001+
2) Conector
3) Three brake lines. Both front and one of the rear (presumably right already forgot). I swaped only front ones. About rear I just cut it, flared and lengthened it with an Goodridge armored hose.
4) 2001+ SWPS.

New PCM not needed. Now installed 2001 BCM. But I have both of. So can check it.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity
I did this swap. From 99 to 2001 EBTCM+BPMV. Later I'll write about this with pictures.

You need:
1) EBTCM+PUMP 2001+
2) Conector
3) Three brake lines. Both front and one of the rear (presumably right already forgot). I swaped only front ones. About rear I just cut it, flared and lengthened it with an Goodridge armored hose.
4) 2001+ SWPS.

New PCM not needed. Now installed 2001 BCM. But I have both of. So can check it.
Wow please post details!! If what you say is true you have no idea how much heart ache you will save me!!

Get notified of new replies

To '01+ EBCM in 97-00 C5

Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 AM
ZeroGravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I'll try to write whole the process till weekend.

I'm living in Russia. Corvette is very rare car here. So I had no choice.

Also you need a cradle for your module from 2001+.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Ok. I'll try to write whole the process till weekend.

I'm living in Russia. Corvette is very rare car here. So I had no choice.

Also you need a cradle for your module from 2001+.
Awesome, thanks heaps!! I'm from new Zealand, they are not common here either. I am quite excited about the prospect of doing this mod so I can drive my vette again!!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Burkdog62
Instructor

You need:
1) EBTCM+PUMP 2001+
2) Conector
4) 2001+ SWPS.

Wow you will have helped many many on this forum. I'm interested to see the write up and pictures. Well done.

Quick Reply: '01+ EBCM in 97-00 C5