C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC/Heater Fan Surges, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Ian Lauer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/Heater Fan Surges, Why?

Hello all,

I'm at the end, hopefully, of a number of repairs to get my 2001 in tip top shape. Soon the 2 heating actuators as well as the blender doors will be replaced. I am however noticing the occasional "surge and drop" in the fan output. It frequently seems to coincide with motor RPM, but just in case does this mean the fan motor is going bad or something else? I would rather have all necessary work done while the dash is torn apart. Thanks in advance!

Ian

Last edited by Ian Lauer; 08-25-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you have a Manual HVAC unit then it has a resistor bank to control motor speed. If it is a Dual system then the controller does not use resistors but it does the same time electronically.

I would tend to think the motor is the issue. Could pull it and try bench testing it.

If you have a Manual system you can put the fan in high speed and it bypasses the resistor bank to test if you still have the issue. Can't do that with the Dual control system.

Mr. Sam
Old 09-05-2015, 02:23 AM
ianlift
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
If you have a Manual HVAC unit then it has a resistor bank to control motor speed. If it is a Dual system then the controller does not use resistors but it does the same time electronically.

I would tend to think the motor is the issue. Could pull it and try bench testing it.

If you have a Manual system you can put the fan in high speed and it bypasses the resistor bank to test if you still have the issue. Can't do that with the Dual control system.

Mr. Sam
thanks for the reply. It is a Dual system. Thanks for the info. The motor can be replaced without pulling apart dash right?

Thanks Again!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

No need to pull the dash.

See if Post 2 in this Thread helps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ac-blower.html

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To AC/Heater Fan Surges, Why?

Quick Reply: AC/Heater Fan Surges, Why?