C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS module

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ABS module

I've just bought my 98 C5, and has of course already read the info about the discontinued ABS module. Is it really so that this is impossible to get/fix? Here i Norway we have to get our cars controlled every other year, and defect ABS on an ABS car will result that you are not allowed to drive the car before it's fixed. If it's not fixable, then we can scrap the car...
Someone must see the business in this and make a replacement, I guess in the states this is related to thousands of cars?
How often does this module fail?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Tuffguy610
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately they do not make replacements, sorry to say. Here in the US, manufacturers are required to make parts for 10 years after the final model year for each car. In your case, that would be 2000 since the 1997-2000 Corvettes had the same modules. This means in 2010 "The General" stopped making/stocking modules for these cars. There were 2 types of modules in 97-00 cars, one for cars with active handling (with a big "V" sticker on the top of it), and one for cars without active handling (with a big "M" sticker on the top of it). You can purchase them used on ebay anywhere from $400 - $2500, depending on luck and what's available. At this time this is really your only option, sorry to say. I have a 2000, so I'm in the same boat. I pray mine doesn't fail, but I do remember hearing the previous owner saying something that it already did and he had it fixed (I don't have any documentation on it). If your module hasn't failed, I'd say to look around and buy a backup just in case and test it when you get it to make sure it works, then shelve it. When you sell your car, sell the module separately if you haven't used it and re-coop your costs.

Mike

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 10-14-2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You would think that with the commonality of GM parts, that it would be possible to retro-fit just the ABS system from an earlier or later GM vehicle. The nanny crap is not something that is a necessity at least for me.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

again, with so many cars involved there should be a market for someone who where willing to really find out how to fix them, or rather get the drawings from Bosch and then make new ones???
I really can't understand how Chevrolet can accept this for one of their most brand-building types, even if their getting old.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway
again, with so many cars involved there should be a market for someone who where willing to really find out how to fix them, or rather get the drawings from Bosch and then make new ones???
I really can't understand how Chevrolet can accept this for one of their most brand-building types, even if their getting old.

The newer system could be retrofitted but despite all the bitching and moaning here no-one is actually willing to spend the money it would require.

If this someone actually got the info, they would have to convince the IC manufacturers to make another run of the necessary IC's before tooling up to make new modules. Who going to pay $10k for a module so this someone can recoup their expense?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:38 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Bosch only made the hydraulic portion of the ABS system. You will have to go to Delphi to get the drawings of the electronics. I chased this down a few years back when I had a co-worker that had worked at the Bosch plant in Charleston SC. I talked to several Bosch folks about the issue. Since Delphi was some sort of subsidiary of GM back in the day, when the 2008-2009 bankruptcy happened, GM did a huge musical chairs for responsibilities. The Bosch folks had contact names and phone #'s for their Delphi contacts from back in the C5 production days, but alas, "this number has been disconnected and is no longer in service".

I gave up on the idea of being able to source modules. I thought, surely there is a pallet of modules tucked way back in a warehouse that I could get my hands on, but, GM emptied their bins during 2008-2009 to raise cash and show the 'gubment how poor they were.

The one thing I did leave on the table is that Bosch does make an aftermarket unit that is aimed at the hot rod folks. It would be an ABS-only system and there would not be an interface to the rest of the system for TC and AH. At that point, I didn't want to do any more. My contacts pointed me to the Bosch website and I talked to a marketing type about that briefly, but the initial investment for me was too steep for an unknwown opportunity.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Darrell98
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have my brake system flushed and replaced with new fluid every two years. I also took Bill Curlee's advice and go out on a wet road and exercise the ABS. I also cross my fingers and hope it doesn't fail.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:31 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

I have owned many cars over the years, and I have never experienced failure in the ABS system. Is the C5 system more likely to fail than the average car, or is it the forum-syndrome that makes it a "big thing"?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have owned many cars over the years, and I have never experienced failure in the ABS system. Is the C5 system more likely to fail than the average car, or is it the forum-syndrome that makes it a "big thing"?
" or is it the forum-syndrome that makes it a "big thing"?[/

forum-syndrome ???????

Well,,,,,,, They DO fail. Its a very sensitive piece of electronics. WHY does it fail,,,, Hmmm.. Several reasons.

1. The power relay inside the module fails. That can be fixed by one of the ABS Fixer places. GM Uses CRAP relays.

2. The microprocessor inside the module fails. When it does, its UN-REPAIRABLE!
NOTE! A BAD or WEAK BATTERY that causes a severe under voltage to the cars electrical system CAN cause relay and electrical component damage.

3. There are numerous SENSORS that are associated with the EBTCM. One of those is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor. They are NO LONGER available also (for the earlier cars) They fail due to wear and tear.

Any of the sensors can fail. Before you replace any EBTCM, you should always confirm that you have 100% full battery voltage to all of the modules multiple power inputs and a proper chassis ground. Then make sure that the sensors are functioning properly.
You should always read the DTCs for the EBTCM and all the other modules and follow the troubleshooting and repair procedures for each DTC.
When troubleshooting the EBTCM, ALWAYS read the module DTCs before you turn off the ignition switch.

One person (who lives in Russia) stated that he successfully converted his early EBTCM to a 2001-2004 EBTCM. I have not seen him on line for quite while.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 12-05-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:37 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

When I read this thread, I thought of the guy in Moscow who said he had converted the newer EBCM to his earlier year car. But like Bill said, I haven't seen him around in a while. To the OP, there are several salvage dealers of Vettes here in the US, so if you have a need of one of these older parts, you might contact them and let them know your needs. If a wrecked car comes in with the component you need, you might have some luck that way.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:55 PM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Thanks for all informative feedback.
As for my new word, forum syndrome, thats something I made up for the fact that forums are, in many cases, used as a info search/bank for problems. Therefore a problem often seems greater than they really are. All of the thousands that does not have a problem with their ABS (for example) is not present to balance the picture.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 AM
loufernh
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all informative feedback.
As for my new word, forum syndrome, thats something I made up for the fact that forums are, in many cases, used as a info search/bank for problems. Therefore a problem often seems greater than they really are. All of the thousands that does not have a problem with their ABS (for example) is not present to balance the picture.
Just curious to know if the EBCM that is mounted in the rear is interchangeable with the EBCM that is mounted in the front. I assume the ECBM will have the same coding as to either the "M" or "V".
Old 12-07-2015, 03:07 PM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

According to C5registry, my car is produced on the 30'th of September 1997 :-)
Old 12-07-2015, 04:16 PM
loufernh
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to C5registry, my car is produced on the 30'th of September 1997 :-)
Welcome to the club of rear mounted EBCM that are coded "M".
Old 12-08-2015, 05:43 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by loufernh
Just curious to know if the EBCM that is mounted in the rear is interchangeable with the EBCM that is mounted in the front. I assume the ECBM will have the same coding as to either the "M" or "V".
They are same, only different bracket. I have rear mount EBCM in my -97 and i install front mount EBCM. I just have to use old bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS module

Quick Reply: ABS module