C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:57 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Blower motor

Blower motor failed…again. Original and now 2 AC delcos.
Is there a better one out there? Delcos quality seems to no longer be a guarantee.
Also: is there a difference in the motor for an automatic vs a manual CC system? {mine is auto}
Old 11-21-2015, 06:18 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

My parts info says they are different.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-23-2015, 05:04 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

When you say "failed" do you mean like "dead" or is it "screaming like a banshee"?

The screaming can be silenced by oiling the blower's bearing. I even drilled a hole in case to squirt lubricants. It usually starts screaming at the most inconvenient and uncomfortable times like 0 degrees or taking the new girl out for lunch.

I've had to oil mine every few years. So it's not dead; more of a Zombie.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
When you say "failed" do you mean like "dead" or is it "screaming like a banshee"?

The screaming can be silenced by oiling the blower's bearing. I even drilled a hole in case to squirt lubricants. It usually starts screaming at the most inconvenient and uncomfortable times like 0 degrees or taking the new girl out for lunch.

I've had to oil mine every few years. So it's not dead; more of a Zombie.
LOL!! I was thinking the SAME THING!! You can also remove the little 3/4" black air hose and lubricate the bearings from there.

Check to see it the fan rotor is free to turn. If its seized, use some WD-40 to free it up and after it rotating again, lube it with some light lubricating oil! WD-40 is a very temporary solution is you don't follow up with some lube oil.

I TOO, drilled a little lubricating hole in the fan end cap so I could lube it when it needed it.

NOTE! IF, the motor is RUSTY and the bearings are seized, Its a very good possibility that your AIR BOX DRAIN isn't draining very well or at all!!! That would be the very NEXT thing to look into!!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-23-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:57 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First failure was the original and WAS due to the drain being clogged. The second just quit after 2 months and was an open circuit. Fortunately it was warranted. This one I dont know yet. The Vette sat for a while as I have been unable to drive it the last 6 months due to several surgeries and complications. The AC initially worked fine. After a week the blower just quit. No noise.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What HVAC System do you have? Dual Zone or Manual?

You could have a bad controller or resistor board (depends on what system you have) Motor could still be good.. You can test the motor..

Bill
Old 11-25-2015, 06:24 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Bill, he said it was auto. OP, here is the schematic from an 02 since you didn't post your year. It should be the same except for maybe a wire color change but I doubt it. I have all the years so I can verify later.

Check fuse 51. Like Bill said, you can unplug the motor and jumper power to it for testing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb78evo09n...trols.pdf?dl=0

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Blower motor

Quick Reply: Blower motor