C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column main switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:58 PM
vetred
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering column main switch

greetings friends sorry I've been away a while I'm confronted with the well-known and dreaded central collum switch failure,...cars been sitting almost 2 years back surgery knee surgery etc. etc. "what a drag it is getting old",.. I remember seeing threads addressing this problem but I wouldn't begin to know where to find them 28° outside right now at least that cold in the garage but I'm going to do this and help greatly appreciated I'm not certain even where to begin.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vetred
greetings friends sorry I've been away a while I'm confronted with the well-known and dreaded central collum switch failure,...cars been sitting almost 2 years back surgery knee surgery etc. etc. "what a drag it is getting old",.. I remember seeing threads addressing this problem but I wouldn't begin to know where to find them 28° outside right now at least that cold in the garage but I'm going to do this and help greatly appreciated I'm not certain even where to begin.
What do you mean by central column switch failure? Do you mean column lock block?

Sitting for 2 years? Are you sure the battery is good and has at least 12.6 volts. Number one cause of column lock is low voltage. If not, it is easy to fix by installing the correct LCM5 device. Search it on the internet, hundreds of posts.

Last edited by BigGun; 11-27-2015 at 01:42 AM. Reason: column lock block??
Old 11-27-2015, 06:15 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OP, tell us WHAT is not working or happening so we have some way to help you better.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-27-2015, 04:25 PM
vetred
Drifting

Default Column switch part two

It was my understanding according to the tech at the dealership that the central columns switch was a switch in the steering column which routed the starter,..the pop up lights,...and a few other odds and ends through a single switch. I think what I have to do is take off the steering wheel and probably disassemble the housing to get to the switch which I would then take to the dealership to make sure it's failed because of course if that's not the problem then I'm in even deeper trouble. as far as getting the car running again I'm old-school so I'll pull the plugs mist a little Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders put a new battery fully charged ,... After I drain the gas tank replaced it with fresh hi test ,... Purge the fuel lines and crank her up,..... But I don't remember how to get to the switch there was a thread on the forum years ago which explain step-by-step but I can't find it anymore. As I recall it was once considered common
Old 11-27-2015, 04:33 PM
vetred
Drifting

Default Alleged column switch

What happened was originally pop up lights wouldn't come up and down,.. I managed to get it home the next day it wouldn't start,..I went to the dealership and they told me it was a design flaw and it happened a lot and it was something called the central "column switch" i'm old so maybe it's just that I've had over the years so much experience with what we used to call "the general" I just threw a little "two year" temper tantrum and for that I'm truly sorry I seem to be coming out of it now,...
Old 11-27-2015, 06:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

IMHO, if the car has been sitting for 2 years, especially if it didn't have a charger on it once in a while, step 1 is a brand new battery....
Old 11-27-2015, 11:56 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vetred
It was my understanding according to the tech at the dealership that the central columns switch was a switch in the steering column which routed the starter,..the pop up lights,...and a few other odds and ends through a single switch. I think what I have to do is take off the steering wheel and probably disassemble the housing to get to the switch which I would then take to the dealership to make sure it's failed because of course if that's not the problem then I'm in even deeper trouble. as far as getting the car running again I'm old-school so I'll pull the plugs mist a little Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders put a new battery fully charged ,... After I drain the gas tank replaced it with fresh hi test ,... Purge the fuel lines and crank her up,..... But I don't remember how to get to the switch there was a thread on the forum years ago which explain step-by-step but I can't find it anymore. As I recall it was once considered common
There is no such switch in the column or anywhere for that matter. Stay far away from that dealer. Follow the suggestions by 8VETTE7, those suggestions will give you a good start.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:58 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

OP, I agree with the others, Headlight and starting issues are NOT related.

IF you need to replace the Multifunction switch to fix the HL issue here is how:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-how-to.html

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column main switch

Quick Reply: Steering column main switch