C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Conrtol Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:19 AM
kenr57
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traction Conrtol Light

On my 04, the Traction Control Light has recently started to light up on the gauge cluster with the"Service Soon" sign while driving. (does not stay on after starting engine, but comes on while driving)

Question: What does this mean? How do you service the "Traction Control"
Old 11-27-2015, 08:47 AM
nnicholas
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is doing the same thing. I did notice that my tire pressure was very low and when I put air in the tires the traction control light went off. Don't know if its related or not.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Zealot06
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here. You need to retrieve the codes from your DIC so you are able to begin a diagnosis.

Mine always shows C1287H, which points to the steering rate sensor. From what I have read, replacement requires removal of the steering column.

Additionally, I understand some earlier C5's have a different steering rate sensor that is no longer available. Mine is a 2002 Z06 and replacement sensors appear to be plentiful.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Zealot06
Same here. You need to retrieve the codes from your DIC so you are able to begin a diagnosis.

Mine always shows C1287H, which points to the steering rate sensor. From what I have read, replacement requires removal of the steering column.

Additionally, I understand some earlier C5's have a different steering rate sensor that is no longer available. Mine is a 2002 Z06 and replacement sensors appear to be plentiful.
The SWPS would be related to AH and not TC.

OP, you need to pull your DASH DIC trouble codes for us. An auto store scanner will not pull what we need.

If you need help on that let us know.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Zealot06
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
The SWPS would be related to AH and not TC.
I stand corrected. My apologies OP, and thanks Mr. Sam.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:51 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The most common issue for a TC code is a fouled wheel speed sensor---The wheel speed sensors are used by both the TC system and the ABS system---TC uses the data to prevent the wheels from spinning on a hard launch--and the ABS uses the sensors to keep the brakes from skidding on a hard stop----
Wheel speed sensor faults can be triggered by fouled pigtails at each wheel from water or dirt---Even simply driving on a rough road or over railroad tracks will often trigger a wheel sensor fault which in turn affects the TC or ABS systems----I would 1st clear all the codes to see if they re-appear--if they do not it was a one time thing--If it does re-appear I would check all the wheels speed sensors located on each wheel to make sure the pigtails are connected and they are clean and un fouled
Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tblu92
The most common issue for a TC code is a fouled wheel speed sensor---The wheel speed sensors are used by both the TC system and the ABS system---TC uses the data to prevent the wheels from spinning on a hard launch--and the ABS uses the sensors to keep the brakes from skidding on a hard stop----
Wheel speed sensor faults can be triggered by fouled pigtails at each wheel from water or dirt---Even simply driving on a rough road or over railroad tracks will often trigger a wheel sensor fault which in turn affects the TC or ABS systems----I would 1st clear all the codes to see if they re-appear--if they do not it was a one time thing--If it does re-appear I would check all the wheels speed sensors located on each wheel to make sure the pigtails are connected and they are clean and un fouled
True story!! The wheel speed wire harness is fairly short and has a connector at each end and runs between the wheel speed sensor pigtail and the body/chassis of the car. Think of it as an "intermediate" harness.
Sometimes simply unplugging the connector(s) at each end and spraying a little contact cleaner into the connector plug and reconnecting it/them is all that's necessary. Also eyeball them for any physical damage i.e., abrasions, cuts, bent or corroded contacts inside the connector plug (creating poor contact), etc. If needed, they are super easy to replace and not terribly expensive.

HTH
Old 11-28-2015, 08:48 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

TC/ABS wheel speed wire harness.

Item #28 is the harness and items 24 and 29 are the connectors at each end. Item #25 is just a rubber grommet that fits into a clip (#26) to hold it in position.

This "intermediate" harness is not used on the rear brakes as it's wiring connection setup is different. It would still be good to unplug the connector at the wheel speed sensor end and check it also.

HTH
The following users liked this post:
Zealot06 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:09 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

The dic codes will tell you where the problem lies. No need to guess and possibly just chase your tail.

Last edited by BigGun; 11-28-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Conrtol Light

Quick Reply: Traction Conrtol Light